Steve DeMars

Default Delta Drill Press ? - Variable Speed?

Getting ready to buy a Delta Drill Press -

Which is the best way to go?

Mortising and drilling of wood, 90% of proposed use.

Variable Speed?

Manual Belt Changing . . . .

Also, is Delta the way to go . . .

I have the variable speed units and it is a pleasure to use....changing
belts (although very easy) is a pain in the butt.....I have three Delta
units here at the school and have had no service issues
Mike

Wally

I got the Delta X5 variable speed drill press. Got the free router
which I sold back at 90% of the price new (I didn't open the box). All
in all, it turns out a little more expensive than the changing belt
model but I'm glad I paid the extra. No hassle, easy, precise and very
quick.

I would do it again!

Wally

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:06:03 -0500, "Steve DeMars"
wrote:

Getting ready to buy a Delta Drill Press -

Which is the best way to go?

Mortising and drilling of wood, 90% of proposed use.

Variable Speed?

Manual Belt Changing . . . .

Also, is Delta the way to go . . .

Patriarch

"Steve DeMars" wrote in news:WfBve.70003$gc6.67153
@okepread04:

Getting ready to buy a Delta Drill Press -

Which is the best way to go?

Mortising and drilling of wood, 90% of proposed use.

Variable Speed?

Manual Belt Changing . . . .

Also, is Delta the way to go . . .

Manual belt changing is not that big a deal. This is not a lathe. I have
the Delta 17" that changes speeds by changing the belt locations. It isn't
rocket science, but it does not need doing all that often. There is little
functional difference between drilling at 500 rpm and 740 rpm

If the Delta dealer has the drill press in stock, then buy it. If he has
to order it, then delivery of anything from Delta right now is a crap
shoot.

Jet drill presses are very competitive with the Deltas.

Patriarch
Dan Valleskey

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:48:20 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

Manual belt changing is not that big a deal. This is not a lathe. I have
the Delta 17" that changes speeds by changing the belt locations. It isn't
rocket science, but it does not need doing all that often. There is little
functional difference between drilling at 500 rpm and 740 rpm

I disagree. I am SICK and TIRED of changing the belts around. I
think I use the wrong RPM maybe 80 percent of the time. Just too much
hassle to change belts.

And when you have to move the belts such that the bottom one moves up
to become the top belt, it takes even longer.

Go for variable speed. My DP is a bottle neck to work flow in my
small shop. I wish I'd kept my old cheap one, just to limit the belt
changes.

-Dan