Fred

Default What is alt.woodworking?

Why that group alt.woodworking with 476 posts when you have this group
rec.woodworking with over 288,000 posts?

Leon

Perhaps you should ask this question at alt.woodworking.

"Fred" wrote in message
Why that group alt.woodworking with 476 posts when you have this group
rec.woodworking with over 288,000 posts?

David

Hell if I know, Fred. I didn't even know of it's existence. And now
that I know about it, I STILL won't bother with a low-traffic NG.

Dave

Fred wrote:

Why that group alt.woodworking with 476 posts when you have this group
rec.woodworking with over 288,000 posts?

Fred

Perhaps you should ask this question at alt.woodworking.

I did asked a question but was it was not posted or maybe blocked.

David

Maybe they don't want anyone asking questions, Fred.

Dave

Fred wrote:

Perhaps you should ask this question at alt.woodworking.

I did asked a question but was it was not posted or maybe blocked.

Guess who

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:38:21 -0700, "Fred" wrote:

Why that group alt.woodworking with 476 posts when you have this group
rec.woodworking with over 288,000 posts?

It's not filled with off-topic BS, or questions other than to do with
woodworking?

Fred wrote:
Why that group alt.woodworking with 476 posts when you have this group
rec.woodworking with over 288,000 posts?

I'm a little fuzzy on how newsgroups are created but the requisites
for groups in the alt.heirarchy are less (maybe nonexistant) than
in the other heirarchies. E.g. alt.chef.swedish.bork.bork.bork comes
to mind.

So alt.heirarchy may have been created by someone who

1) Didn't know about rec.woodworking.

2) Had a newsfeed that did not carry rec.woodworking (maybe not any
rec. gourps, but did carry alt. groups

3) was unhappy with rec.woodworking and so created his own alternate
newsgroup.

In some cases there may be alt. groups that existed befor there was
enough interest to create a group in one of the 'big five' heirarchies.
NOt so for *.woodworking, rec.woodworking goes way, way back,
back even before there was Nahrm.

--

FF

Patriarch

David wrote in :

Hell if I know, Fred. I didn't even know of it's existence. And now
that I know about it, I STILL won't bother with a low-traffic NG.

Dave

Remember Vito?

Patriarch
Patriarch

"Fred" wrote in :

Why that group alt.woodworking with 476 posts when you have this group
rec.woodworking with over 288,000 posts?

Were you to google "alt.woodworking" while in the rec.woodworking groups
search page, much of the short and sordid story would become clear.

I have neither the interest or the perspective to try to explain the
inexplicable. It's not so much about woodworking, as about the human
personality, and the tendency of some individuals to want to control
others, according to their rules.

That tends not to fly too well on Usenet.

Patriarch

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:38:21 -0700, "Fred" wrote:

Why that group alt.woodworking

It's a schismatic offshoot of free.uk.woodworking, only smaller.

Just ignore it.

joey

Actually my server has alt.woodworking.vito-kuhn

"David" wrote in message
yup. is AW his creation?

Dave

Patriarch wrote:

David wrote in

:

alt.woodworking? Joe Woodworking 4 January 22nd 05 05:43 PM
alt.woodworking Dave Balderstone Woodworking 7 October 29th 04 12:52 PM