Vic Baron

Default Tablesaw problem

I have an old Craftsman tablesaw circa 1950's that I've used for years with
no problems. I have a strange thing happening on cutting and I'm puzzled. If
I cut from the right side of the blade ( a W.W.II , link belts, etc. ) I get
a perfectly smooth cut. If I cut from the left side of the blade I get a
smooth cut BUT I have a few upward ( rear teeth) burn marks on the main
piece. I've checked for square, marked a tooth and checked distance from
miter slot - nothing seems unusual. I obviously am missing something.

Any suggestions of what and how to check? I have a dial indicator but other
than that just the usual ww tools.

The upward burn mark would lead me to believe that the rear teeth are closer
than the front teeth but I just don't see it when I check.

Only thing I haven't tried - I have a new W.W.II blade. They both are thin
kerf - I wonder if the older blade has somehow twisted a bit? If it has, how
does one fix that - send it back to Forrest?

Thanx

Vic Baron

--
There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who
don't

David

I leaned on my WWII when I noticed it wobbling a bit. I determined
which way the blade was out, and applied counter pressure with my hands.
I did that while it was in the Unisaw. It doesn't take much pressure
to affect the trueness of the blade. I checked it with a dial indicator,
and voila, it was only a couple thousandths out of true.

Dave

Vic Baron wrote:

[...]

SonomaProducts.com

It sounds like maybe the table top isn't flat on the one side.

SBO

Maybe some ball bearings need to be replaced (?)
Do you have the same problem with another blade ? It look like a blade who
was sharpened twice on the same side by mistake.
If you find the problem, let us know.
Good luck !
S.B.
"Vic Baron" a écrit dans le message de news:
[...]

Doug Miller

In article , "Vic Baron" wrote:
I have an old Craftsman tablesaw circa 1950's that I've used for years with
no problems. I have a strange thing happening on cutting and I'm puzzled. If
I cut from the right side of the blade ( a W.W.II , link belts, etc. ) I get
a perfectly smooth cut. If I cut from the left side of the blade I get a
smooth cut BUT I have a few upward ( rear teeth) burn marks on the main
piece. I've checked for square, marked a tooth and checked distance from
miter slot - nothing seems unusual. I obviously am missing something.

Sounds to me like your left miter slot is not perfectly parallel to the blade.
When you aligned the saw, I'm betting you checked the alignment of the *right*
miter slot with the blade.

Or perhaps the blade is damaged on the left side. Have you checked each
individual tooth? If you're over the age of 40, use a magnifying glass. :-)
DAMHIKT.

--
Regards,

Vic Baron

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "Vic Baron"

wrote:
[...]

:-)
DAMHIKT.

Nobody likes a smartass, Dave...

But I DO happen to have a magnifying glass available. Good thought.

When I get home I'm going to put the brand new WWII in and see what happens.

Thanx to all

Vic Baron

Problem solved. Seems that there are 6 trunion bolts in the early craftsman
series. Made my own sled for the dial indicator. Found the rear teeth offset
about .010" ( ten thousandths). After loosening all six bolts and tapping
for a bit, got it to within .001" after tightening. Made test cuts from both
sides - I am a happy camper now. Tomorrow I'll check the alignment and
calibration on my fence.

Thanx,

Vic