Default First Table Saw

I'm shopping for my first table saw. Initially I will use the saw for
basic chores - fixing pump house door, making cabinet doors for cottage
kitchen, ripping engineered wood flooring that I'm installing. Also
mitering picture frames (both wood and metal). I'll probably start
learning how to make furniture items and boxes.
I may eventually want to make finer furniture and inlaid jewelry boxes,
but that might not be for a couple years.
My thinking is that, for now, I'd like a good quality saw to do my
basic chores and picture frames. As I grow into making more precise
items I'd like a machine that can grow with my needs to a certain point
(a machine that I can add parts/functions to such as dado and router
capability). Eventually I figure I'd buy a really nice table saw in
the event that I want to expand into finer furniture.
I've heard good things about the Delta 36-680 as a good table saw to
begin with. What is your opinion?
Also, does it make sense to initially buy a less expensive but quality
saw that can grow with my interests for a while, then buy a really good
machine later on?
If so, what would you suggest for my first machine?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

CrackedHands

If you are on the budget, check out the Ryobi BT3100. For less than
$300, it's probably one of the "best bang for your buck" saws on the
market. The sliding miter table and the built-in router table are great
features. I owned this saw for two years now and am very happy with it.

SonomaProducts.com

The Delta is a fine saw. For the same price you should also consider
the Craftsman 3/4 cabinet saw.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00922104000

tcleek

Greg,

You might check out what Grizzly has to offer in your price range. I've
got the left title cabinet saw and have been very pleased with it.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...000&sort=price

Most on this forum, would probably suggest buy as much saw as you can
afford.

todd

wrote:
[...]

RonB

$600 for your first saw is 2/3rds of the way to the starting price of a
saw that could be your last saw too. Only you can decide whether to shell
out another $300.

Agreed. For $895 plus shipping you can put a Grizzly 1023S in your shop. I
have owned one for four years and it is a fine machine.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=G1023S

RonB

Edwin Pawlowski

"Patrick Conroy" wrote in message

$600 for your first saw is 2/3rds of the way to the starting price of a
saw that could be your last saw too. Only you can decide whether to shell
out another $300.

Second that. I have a Delta Contractor saw with Biesemeyer fence. It does
everything I want it to with ease. Adjusting that fence accuraely is just so
easy and it locks solidly.

I don' tknow the $$$ situation, but do check out some of the saws with
better quality fences to start with. You can buy a $2000 cabinet saw also,
but for most hobbiest, it is overkill. OTOH, if you have the bucks . . . . .
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Stephen M

I've heard good things about the Delta 36-680 as a good table saw to
begin with. What is your opinion?

Good saw, nice choice.

Also, does it make sense to initially buy a less expensive but quality
saw that can grow with my interests for a while, then buy a really good
machine later on?

IMNSHO, Yes. There are those who would say buy once, cry once, but I
disagree, to a point. Until you have owned a tool, used it and learned from
it you will not know what you really want/need. Also, what you want/need
evolves.

That said, it is important to get something decent that will not frustrate
you.

I started in a contractor saw and now own a cabinet saw. Do I think
contractor saw was a waste? Heck no. It served me well for a decade until I
outgrew it.

I think the 36-680 is a good saw, and better than most 1st time saws. Others
have suggested going straight to a cabinet saw. I think that's really
over-the-top for a beginner.

You're on the right track $500-$600 (new, a lot less if you stumble into a
deal on used equipment) is the right price point to get something that will
perform well enough for your needs for years.

Cheers,

Steve

Upscale

"Stephen M" wrote in message

IMNSHO, Yes. There are those who would say buy once, cry once, but I
disagree, to a point. Until you have owned a tool, used it and learned

from
it you will not know what you really want/need. Also, what you want/need
evolves.

I have to mostly agree, but maybe ways to get around that conundrum. Things
such as taking a few woodworking classes where they have the higher end
products, such as a cabinet saw for student use. Similarly, joining a local
woodworking group where you can get exposure to both types.

I was eighteen when I bought my first tablesaw, a contractor's saw. And
although it did what I wanted it to do, which became much easier when I
added an aftermarket fence to it, I always had the vision of a cabinet saw
in the back of my mind from when I was doing woodworking at school.

It was like driving my first car, a Rambler station wagon. It ran on and on
and was dependable as hell, but it looked like crap and had very little
power. Then I upgraded to a 67 Thunderbird. It like going from night into
day, although after that my wallet started to feel the bite.

Stephen M

It was like driving my first car, a Rambler station wagon. It ran on and
on
and was dependable as hell, but it looked like crap and had very little
power. Then I upgraded to a 67 Thunderbird. It like going from night into
day, although after that my wallet started to feel the bite.

No doubt; it's nice to have nice things... I get enjoyment out of my cabinet
saw.

However, I will be so bold as to say that I'll bet that there is no way that
you would have waited until you could afford the Thunderbird to get into
your own set of wheels.

Upscale

"Stephen M" wrote in message

However, I will be so bold as to say that I'll bet that there is no way

that
you would have waited until you could afford the Thunderbird to get into
your own set of wheels.

Ok, you got me there. Wheels first, luxury for impressing the ladies second.

Stephen M

"Upscale" wrote in message
"Stephen M" wrote in message

However, I will be so bold as to say that I'll bet that there is no way

that
you would have waited until you could afford the Thunderbird to get into
your own set of wheels.

Ok, you got me there. Wheels first, luxury for impressing the ladies

second.

Getting back on topic....

There-in lies the flaw in the "buy the best, cry once" philosophy

(not that you were pushing that adjenda, but you gave me such a nice leg up
onto my soapbox)

You don't need the best saw to make dust, but you do need a saw.

Make Dust!

Steve

Bob G.

Getting back on topic....

There-in lies the flaw in the "buy the best, cry once" philosophy

(not that you were pushing that adjenda, but you gave me such a nice leg up
onto my soapbox)

You don't need the best saw to make dust, but you do need a saw.

Make Dust!

Steve

==========================

If we replaced the word Tablesaw to Bandsaw ...then Steve, your point
could be proven by my experience.... In the mid 60's I went out and
purchased a 12 in Craftsman Bandsaw that I still use almost every
day....it is NOT my any means a good saw....but it has done everything
I have asked it to (I do not ask it to do the impossible) for 40
years.... I really have not outgrown it YET...

I have owned a Cabinet Saw however for almost 20 years the original
Craftsman TS did not last 3-4 years before it gave way to a Delta
Contractors saw which was replaced after 15-20 or so years of use by
my Jet Cabinet Saw ...

One day I may "bite" for a "good" bandsaw...

Bob Griffths

Greg

Thanks for the input re my new saw, nice thread.... Today I went
shopping for my saw with a friend who has owned table saws for years.
I realized that nearly any contractor's saw is going to leave me with a
lot of sawdust in the shop due to the open design. I plan to use my
saw a lot during the rainy winter and my shop also opens into a studio
where I do artwork that I don't want to have sawdust all over places
where I'm mounting pictures etc.

That said, one of the stores had a deal on a Delta 10" Unisaw 26-R51
for $1499. In addition I get a coupon worth $100 towards some other
accessories. With a cabinet saw I'd be able to drastically improve the
dust collection situation. Of course money is always a factor, but if
I'm going to have this saw possibly for decades I don't want to regret
my choice every time I turn on the machine.

What do you think??

Also, the store is a box shop and they won't deliver. They said that
the saw only shipping weight is 456 pounds. I can't imagine how I'd
even get that out of my truck. I haven't yet had a chance to check if
the weight is broken down into smaller parts, do you know???

Cheers,
Greg

Bruce Barnett

"Greg" writes:

That said, one of the stores had a deal on a Delta 10" Unisaw 26-R51
for $1499.

Also, the store is a box shop and they won't deliver. They said that
the saw only shipping weight is 456 pounds. I can't imagine how I'd
even get that out of my truck. I haven't yet had a chance to check if
the weight is broken down into smaller parts, do you know???

I ordered the "JET 708663MBK 3 HP Left Tilt Tablesaw with 50" Fence
Premier Fence and Mobile Base" for $1499.99 from amazon with free
shipping.

That price for the unisaw does seem attractive. Good luck.

Stephen M

snip.

That said, one of the stores had a deal on a Delta 10" Unisaw 26-R51
for $1499. In addition I get a coupon worth $100 towards some other
accessories. With a cabinet saw I'd be able to drastically improve the
dust collection situation. Of course money is always a factor, but if
I'm going to have this saw possibly for decades I don't want to regret
my choice every time I turn on the machine.

What do you think??

Great saw, but don't think that cabinet saws are dust-free. Unless you
invest in an over-arm blade guard with suction you will still spew as much
as 1/4 of the dust. It depends on the cut; a through rip is pretty clean,
but a less than kerf rip will throw nearly all of the dust forward without
suction from above.

-Steve

Rob Mills

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

from amazon with free shipping.

I always check amazon when I make a purchase, more often than not it's the
cheapest way to go. RM ~

Patriarch

"Greg" wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

Dust collection isn't perfect. Check the archives for the many
discussions.

Also, the store is a box shop and they won't deliver. They said that
the saw only shipping weight is 456 pounds. I can't imagine how I'd
even get that out of my truck. I haven't yet had a chance to check if
the weight is broken down into smaller parts, do you know???

My neighbor had an engine hoist, and we picked up the entire crate using
a few straps/ropes, and swung it onto the mobile base. The store should
have a forklift to put it into your truck.

The top is removeable, and the wings are shipped unattached. This makes
it easier if you are using a dolly and 2x6's. And two friends. And
pizza.

Most of your woodworker friends will be glad to come assist you with
your new toy, er tool.

Patriarch,
owner of a 2003 vintage LT Uni...