DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New member (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/109745-new-member.html)

Patriarch June 14th 05 07:15 AM

"rickluce" wrote in news:1118720393.346425.309420
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Patriarch...are you from the Sonoma county area?

I live in Contra Costa County, and worked in Petaluma & Santa Rosa, when
the Telecomm Valley boom was happening. I had grandparents at Point Arena
in Mendocino County, and at Forestville, west of Sebastapol. The Mendocino
branch of the family goes back to the 1840s in the cemetary at Manchester.

My dad lives in Lake County, about 45 minutes from John Moorhead, who has
extended a standing invitation to come and visit. Life has gotten in the
way of that, mostly in the form of a beautiful new granddaughter.

Why do you ask?

Patriarch

Lawrence Wasserman June 14th 05 03:34 PM

In article ,
Bruce Barnett wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 07:39:54 -0400, "bronzzy"
wrote:

I would love to offer my knowledge as best I can. so if you have any
questions feel free to ask.

Perhaps you can help me. Bronzzy. I've been trying to get my 1950 cast
iron Henweigh aligned. I really like it, but it's not cutting
right. I've adjusted it as best I could, but it's still off.

Any advice?

About 3 pounds.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Conan The Librarian June 14th 05 04:20 PM

Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

wrote:

I would love to offer my knowledge as best I can. so if you have any
questions feel free to ask.

Perhaps you can help me. Bronzzy. I've been trying to get my 1950 cast
iron Henweigh aligned. I really like it, but it's not cutting
right. I've adjusted it as best I could, but it's still off.

Any advice?

About 3 pounds.

But it's a *cast* *iron* Henweigh. Gotta be 8-10 lbs., easy.

Chuck Vance (you're not foolin' me with that one, no way)

mac davis June 14th 05 04:34 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 23:23:53 GMT, Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
I gotta remember that one. I have a couple of friends with teenage daughters.
I'm sure they'll identify with it.

Well, I just passed that on to my daughter as promised. She said,
"None, that's what boys are for."

I'm freekin' dooooomed,
Dave in Fairfax

ROTFLMAO

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac davis June 14th 05 04:35 PM

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:12:40 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

"rickluce" wrote in news:1118718263.391808.276280
:

OK, I'll ask it...What'sa "henweigh"????

insert drum roll

'bout 4 lbs.

Robatoy June 14th 05 06:56 PM

In article ,
Conan The Librarian wrote:

Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

wrote:

I would love to offer my knowledge as best I can. so if you have any
questions feel free to ask.

Perhaps you can help me. Bronzzy. I've been trying to get my 1950 cast
iron Henweigh aligned. I really like it, but it's not cutting
right. I've adjusted it as best I could, but it's still off.

Any advice?

About 3 pounds.

But it's a *cast* *iron* Henweigh. Gotta be 8-10 lbs., easy.

Chuck Vance (you're not foolin' me with that one, no way)

Don't see the problem. They're all aluminum these days. (That's
aluminium to you, Andy)
Most potfurs are still cast iron though.

bronzzy June 14th 05 08:45 PM

I'll try to help but first I need to know what a henweigh is. I tried
finding something about it on the internet but to no end. I figure it's
some kind of hand tool. Would it be a plane by any chance. Could you
describe it for me I may be able to find something similar on the internet
and give an answer.
"bronzzy" wrote in message
Hi, I just started with these woodworking newsgroups and they are of
interest to me. I'm currently a student taking woodworking in college.
And I would love to offer my knowledge as best I can. so if you have any
questions feel free to ask. I have about one years experience in
woodworking so far and I know that doesn't seem like a lot but I've
learned so much.
talk to you later
bronzzy

Morris Dovey June 15th 05 12:58 AM

"bronzzy" wrote in message
I'll try to help but first I need to know what a henweigh is. I tried

Bronzzy...

A henway's between three and four pounds.

[Gotta entice this gal to stick around - we couldn't ask for a better
straight man^H^H^Hperson.]

Welcome to the group (and remember to keep your sense of humor handy!)

--
Morris

Bruce Barnett June 15th 05 01:39 AM

"bronzzy" writes:

I'll try to help but first I need to know what a henweigh is.

Others have answered, and I hope you forgive me for pulling your leg.

It was meant as an initiation, as the older ones welcome the younger
ones. At this point I'd shake your hand, pat you on the back, and buy
you a beer. Welcome to the wreck. I hope you have a sense of humor,
and use it frequently.

Just be careful if someone asks you for a left handed monkey wrench.

Dave in Fairfax June 15th 05 01:51 AM

Bruce Barnett wrote:
snip
Just be careful if someone asks you for a left handed monkey wrench.

Wellll, I guess we know which side of that thread you came down on.
Reverse threads, remember. Another sidist chauvanist. Harumph.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Dave Balderstone June 15th 05 02:23 AM

In article , Bruce Barnett
wrote:

Just be careful if someone asks you for a left handed monkey wrench.

I'm looking for a board stretcher, preferably one that can handle
plywood too.

djb

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

Swingman June 15th 05 12:38 PM

"Bruce Barnett" wrote in message

Just be careful if someone asks you for a left handed monkey wrench.

Damned liberals will do anything to get their philosophy across ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Patrick Conroy June 15th 05 04:22 PM

"bronzzy" wrote in
:

I'll try to help but first I need to know what a henweigh is. I tried
finding something about it on the internet but to no end. I figure

Public Service Announcement:

'henweigh' as in "What's a henweigh?" Reply is "About 3 pounds!"
'hammerfour" as in "What's a hammerfour?" Reply is "Pounding nails!"

Right up there with Knock, Knock and "Orange you glad I didn't say banana?"

bronzzy June 16th 05 11:36 AM

So a henwegh is a type of hammer or a set. when you say pounding nails it
could be a few tools. But normally I don't how to align hammers. They
don't cost too much I just go buy another one. Make sure it's balanced
though. To find a balanced hammer you stand it on the head and if it
balances your good to go. If it falls over then I wouldn't recommend it.
Working with an unbalanced hammer all day reeks havock on your elbow.

Swingman June 16th 05 03:15 PM

"bronzzy" wrote in message

Make sure it's balanced
though. To find a balanced hammer you stand it on the head and if it
balances your good to go. If it falls over then I wouldn't recommend it.

I used the same method when looking for a wife ... never did get her
"aligned" though.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

Conan The Librarian June 16th 05 04:15 PM

Swingman wrote:

"bronzzy" wrote in message

Make sure it's balanced
though. To find a balanced hammer you stand it on the head and if it
balances your good to go. If it falls over then I wouldn't recommend it.

I used the same method when looking for a wife ... never did get her
"aligned" though.

She's no fun ... she fell right over.

Chuck Vance (they call me Danger ...)

Dave Balderstone June 16th 05 06:45 PM

wrote:

She's no fun ... she fell right over.

Who are you talking to, and how do you make your voice DO that?

Larry Jaques June 17th 05 01:09 AM

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:45:42 -0600, the opaque Dave Balderstone
spake:

wrote:

She's no fun ... she fell right over.

Who are you talking to, and how do you make your voice DO that?

Better pull your mukluks out of the cellophane before the scorch,
Danger.

Crapsman tools are their own punishment
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Dave Balderstone June 17th 05 02:09 AM

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

Better pull your mukluks out of the cellophane before the scorch,
Danger.

Sigh. Time for a beer, methinks.

At a low dive with continuous entertainment, like the Mobius Dick! They
whale all night!

D. J. MCBRIDE June 17th 05 02:47 AM

"Patrick Conroy" wrote in message
"bronzzy" wrote in
:
Public Service Announcement:

'henweigh' as in "What's a henweigh?" Reply is "About 3 pounds!"
'hammerfour" as in "What's a hammerfour?" Reply is "Pounding nails!"

You left out a hamcost.

--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Conan The Librarian June 17th 05 01:51 PM

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

Better pull your mukluks out of the cellophane before the scorch,
Danger.

Sigh. Time for a beer, methinks.

At a low dive with continuous entertainment, like the Mobius Dick! They
whale all night!

Wow, that was an obscure one, even for a big fan of theirs. :-)

Chuck Vance (Violet Dawn Dudley?)

Dave Balderstone June 17th 05 02:35 PM

wrote:

Wow, that was an obscure one, even for a big fan of theirs. :-)

I do have most of their albums... Giant Rat has always been one of my
faves.

Larry Jaques June 17th 05 05:46 PM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:35:35 -0600, the opaque Dave Balderstone
spake:

wrote:

Wow, that was an obscure one, even for a big fan of theirs. :-)

I do have most of their albums... Giant Rat has always been one of my
faves.

I understand that he drowned last year. So did my fave coffee beans,
Seattle Mountain Sumatran. sigh

If I weren't a sober person, I'd switch to a carload of industrial
coke.

Conan The Librarian June 17th 05 06:55 PM

wrote:

Wow, that was an obscure one, even for a big fan of theirs. :-)

I do have most of their albums... Giant Rat has always been one of my
faves.

Mine too, but I've never run across anyone else who felt the same.
:-)

Chuck Vance (who owns everything they ever recorded, and used to
have most of it memorized)

Dave Hinz June 17th 05 06:59 PM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:55:03 -0500, Conan The Librarian wrote:
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I do have most of their albums... Giant Rat has always been one of my
faves.

Mine too, but I've never run across anyone else who felt the same.

See? On the Internet, you can find someone who shares your interests,
no matter how ...unusual... they are. This usually applies to a
different topic, but it's fitting here as well.

Patriarch June 17th 05 07:11 PM

Conan The Librarian wrote in news:d8v2pp$doh$1
@news.swt.edu:

snip
Chuck Vance (who owns everything they ever recorded, and used to
have most of it memorized)

That explains a few things.

Patriarch,
who has been known to come up with old John Prine lyrics, and most of the
Lyle Lovett catalog. MUCH more Neander-appropriate. ;-)

jo4hn June 17th 05 07:44 PM

Patriarch wrote:
Conan The Librarian wrote in news:d8v2pp$doh$1
@news.swt.edu:

snip

Chuck Vance (who owns everything they ever recorded, and used to
have most of it memorized)

That explains a few things.

Patriarch,
who has been known to come up with old John Prine lyrics, and most of the
Lyle Lovett catalog. MUCH more Neander-appropriate. ;-)

Not to mention the dulcet tones of Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers.
now that was MUSIC,
jo4hn

Dave Balderstone June 17th 05 07:49 PM

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

If I weren't a sober person, I'd switch to a carload of industrial
coke.

Yeah, that oil beer goes through you like a hot car...

Larry Jaques June 17th 05 08:53 PM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:49:55 -0600, the opaque Dave Balderstone
spake:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

If I weren't a sober person, I'd switch to a carload of industrial
coke.

Yeah, that oil beer goes through you like a hot car...

I don't recognize that one.

P.S: I didn't find any navigation (Firefox, NN7, or IE6) on the
woodenwabbits.com site. No link but the word "links."

Dave Balderstone June 17th 05 09:28 PM

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

I don't recognize that one.

Giant Rat, the scene where Hemlock is pretending to be "Joe From
Chicago"

P.S: I didn't find any navigation (Firefox, NN7, or IE6) on the
woodenwabbits.com site. No link but the word "links."

Ayup. That's the current state. Change is in the wind, though...

Larry Jaques June 18th 05 12:21 AM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:28:41 -0600, the opaque Dave Balderstone
spake:

In article , Larry Jaques
wrote:

I don't recognize that one.

Giant Rat, the scene where Hemlock is pretending to be "Joe From
Chicago"

I have the album but probably listened to it only twice or so, back
when I was still imbibing mass quantities of anything in sight.

P.S: I didn't find any navigation (Firefox, NN7, or IE6) on the
woodenwabbits.com site. No link but the word "links."

Ayup. That's the current state. Change is in the wind, though...

Bueno, bwana.

Prometheus June 19th 05 12:15 PM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:44:42 GMT, jo4hn wrote:

Not to mention the dulcet tones of Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers.
now that was MUSIC,

You mean there was more than one band called the Skillet Lickers?
What are the odds... (The only one I knew of was Levay Smith and the
Red Hot Skillet Lickers) Smaller world than I thought, I guess.

jo4hn June 19th 05 04:19 PM

Prometheus wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:44:42 GMT, jo4hn wrote:

Not to mention the dulcet tones of Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers.
now that was MUSIC,

You mean there was more than one band called the Skillet Lickers?
What are the odds... (The only one I knew of was Levay Smith and the
Red Hot Skillet Lickers) Smaller world than I thought, I guess.

This group which featured Tanner and McMichen on fiddle, Riley Puckett
on vocals and guitar, and Fate Norris on banjo recorded in the 20s and
30s. IIRC they also had a 15 minute radio show in Georgia someplace.
Next up is Uncle Dave Macon and his Fruit Jar Drinkers. :-)

The Smithsonian has some interesting collections of various kinds of
music and performers.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Duane Bozarth June 19th 05 07:21 PM

jo4hn wrote:

Prometheus wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:44:42 GMT, jo4hn wrote:

Not to mention the dulcet tones of Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers.
now that was MUSIC,

You mean there was more than one band called the Skillet Lickers?
What are the odds... (The only one I knew of was Levay Smith and the
Red Hot Skillet Lickers) Smaller world than I thought, I guess.

This group which featured Tanner and McMichen on fiddle, Riley Puckett
on vocals and guitar, and Fate Norris on banjo recorded in the 20s and
30s. IIRC they also had a 15 minute radio show in Georgia someplace.
Next up is Uncle Dave Macon and his Fruit Jar Drinkers. :-)

The Smithsonian has some interesting collections of various kinds of
music and performers.

IOW, "everything old is new again..."

Prometheus June 20th 05 07:44 AM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:19:55 GMT, jo4hn wrote:

Prometheus wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 18:44:42 GMT, jo4hn wrote:

Not to mention the dulcet tones of Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers.
now that was MUSIC,

You mean there was more than one band called the Skillet Lickers?
What are the odds... (The only one I knew of was Levay Smith and the
Red Hot Skillet Lickers) Smaller world than I thought, I guess.

This group which featured Tanner and McMichen on fiddle, Riley Puckett
on vocals and guitar, and Fate Norris on banjo recorded in the 20s and
30s. IIRC they also had a 15 minute radio show in Georgia someplace.
Next up is Uncle Dave Macon and his Fruit Jar Drinkers. :-)

Sounds like an entirely different animal- Levay Smith is one of those
smoky-voiced female jazz singers and the Skillet Lickers are a
jump-blues band, in the one I had in mind. They came a bit later, so
I wonder if they snagged the name from the guys you mentioned. :)

tom June 24th 05 01:57 AM

Duane wrote: No, I'd make real muntins for separate lights...but, I'd
use a small
quarter mould to hold the glass, fastened w/ brads.

And now I'm thinking real muntins would be easier,
too...Jeeminy, these small f^*&!#& pieces will never work! Thanks,
again. Tom

Duane Bozarth June 24th 05 02:26 AM

tom wrote:

Duane wrote: No, I'd make real muntins for separate lights...but, I'd
use a small
quarter mould to hold the glass, fastened w/ brads.

And now I'm thinking real muntins would be easier,
too...Jeeminy, these small f^*&!#& pieces will never work! Thanks,
again. Tom

I hear ya', brother... :)

Good luck, I think it well may be easier and it'll definitely look
better.

BTW, make a piece wide enough for four muntins (including waste) and cut
to length. Make end cope cuts first, then mould the outside edges. Now
rip the two outer ones off and mould the final edge. Repeat as many
times as needed...

HTH...