Dan Jefferson

Default Delta Planer Cleaning

Delta recommended Kerosene for the knives and metal rollers. I don't want
to have kerosene in shop. What would be a suitable substitute.

Thks...Dan in Canada

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dan Jefferson" wrote in message
Delta recommended Kerosene for the knives and metal rollers. I don't want
to have kerosene in shop. What would be a suitable substitute.

Thks...Dan in Canada

Lamp oil, fuel oil, diesel fuel, WD-40, mineral spirits, gas. Easier to
move the planer out of the shop to do the job than use less effective
solvents.

Watch those knives. I've heard of people getting cut cleaning them. Not
me, of course, just stories I've heard. Yeah, that's it, it was some other
guy.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Dan Jefferson wrote:
Delta recommended Kerosene for the knives and metal rollers. I don't want
to have kerosene in shop. What would be a suitable substitute.

Thks...Dan in Canada

(Reporting what I was told by Delta support.)

Any 'light petroleum distallate' will work just fine
Naptha
Mineral spirits
lanp oil
etc., even gasoline.

Delta recommends kerosene because it is the least expensive of the class,
and generally readily available.
LRod

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 17:28:41 -0400, "Dan Jefferson"
wrote:

Delta recommended Kerosene for the knives and metal rollers. I don't want
to have kerosene in shop. What would be a suitable substitute.

Why don't you want kerosene in the shop?

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

David

Take the planer outside? is it portable?

Dan Jefferson wrote:

Delta recommended Kerosene for the knives and metal rollers. I don't want
to have kerosene in shop. What would be a suitable substitute.

Thks...Dan in Canada

alexy

"Dan Jefferson" wrote:

Delta recommended Kerosene for the knives and metal rollers. I don't want
to have kerosene in shop. What would be a suitable substitute.

Thks...Dan in Canada

Diesel fuel or Jet fuel. But I'd guess that wasn't what you had in
mind. g
Patriarch

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Dan Jefferson" wrote in message
Delta recommended Kerosene for the knives and metal rollers. I don't
want to have kerosene in shop. What would be a suitable
substitute.

Thks...Dan in Canada

Lamp oil, fuel oil, diesel fuel, WD-40, mineral spirits, gas. Easier
to move the planer out of the shop to do the job than use less
effective solvents.

Watch those knives. I've heard of people getting cut cleaning them.
Not me, of course, just stories I've heard. Yeah, that's it, it was
some other guy.

Of course, Lamp oil, fuel oil, and diesel fuel are all functionally
kerosene. We all have much more dangerous stuff with which we clean the
bathroom, generally speaking.

Ed's right about those knives. I also happen to know a guy, really well in
fact,...

Whatever you do, never, ever mention the use of acetone here. DAMHIKT.

Patriarch
Mike Marlow

"Dan Jefferson" wrote in message
Delta recommended Kerosene for the knives and metal rollers. I don't want
to have kerosene in shop. What would be a suitable substitute.

Thks...Dan in Canada

Why not have a little kerosene in the shop? What you'll use to clean your
planer is such a small amount that a good fart is probably about as much of
a fire/explosion threat as it is. You have to work pretty hard to get fire
out of kerosene (put a flame right to it) and you just about can't make it
explode. Exercise a little common sense when you clean your planer, and you
would have no problems using kerosene.

--

-Mike-

jo4hn

Patriarch wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Dan Jefferson" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

And never put gasoline anywhere but in your car. AMHIKT.
honest,
jo4hn
JuanKnighter

You can loosen up pitch and tar etc. with butter or olive oil and clean up
the mess with rubbing alcohol..... but why would you want to? Kerosene
is the safest and most effective... a little on a rag goes a long way.

Han

jo4hn wrote in news:YzXqe.3229$jX6.830
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

And never put gasoline anywhere but in your car. AMHIKT.
honest,
jo4hn

And even with that you need to be careful.

I borrowed my sister's car to get my daughter from Schiphol airport for my
Dad's funeral. Since it was low on fuel I gassed up at the Amstelveen
service station. Got to the Airport OK, and was about 1/3 of the way back
to my Dad's home when the engine started coughing. I could just coast into
a service station halfway to Utrecht and realized what I had done wrong.
Filled the car with regular, while the engine expected diesel. ANWB (AAA
equivalent) was there within 45 min and pumped the car dry, then we filled
it with diesel and had the ANWB guy tow us to start the engine (4 or 5
speed manual - just shift into second and gently let the clutch in).
Engine ran rough the first 20 or so miles, but fine thereafter. We made it
on time from Wageningen to the crematorium in Beuningen.
--
Best regards
Han
Todd Fatheree

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Dan Jefferson" wrote in message
Delta recommended Kerosene for the knives and metal rollers. I don't

want
to have kerosene in shop. What would be a suitable substitute.

Thks...Dan in Canada

Why not have a little kerosene in the shop? What you'll use to clean your
planer is such a small amount that a good fart is probably about as much

of
a fire/explosion threat as it is. You have to work pretty hard to get

fire
out of kerosene (put a flame right to it) and you just about can't make it
explode. Exercise a little common sense when you clean your planer, and

you
would have no problems using kerosene.

He'd probably be more comfortable with lamp oil instead of kerosene. Maybe
you should suggest that to Dan.

todd

Phisherman

wrote:

Delta recommended Kerosene for the knives and metal rollers. I don't want
to have kerosene in shop. What would be a suitable substitute.

Thks...Dan in Canada

You can keep the kerosene elsewhere--perhaps under the kitchen sink.
A small amount of kerosene in the shop should be safe. Kerosene
protects metal from rust and it is fairly non-toxic--not nearly as
flammable as some oil finishes or a can of WD40. You can use it to
clean your hands from tar, grease, oil-based finishes, etc. I don't
like to deviate from a manufacturer's recommendation.