Never Enough Money

Default Ecogate DC Controller

A search gives me quite a few hits on "Ecogate" from this group. Hope
my questions below haven't been answered before....

Are there any competitors to Ecogate (http://www.ecogate.com/)? By that
I mean, companies that have tool activated blast gate opening and duct
collection power on/off?

One post said the vibration sensors aren't very good -- use the
toroidal sensors, instead. Hmm. According to Ecogate's web page, the
toroidal sensors only work on machines with motors no larger than 2 HP.
My Unisaw is 3 HP. Does the Unisaw have enough vibration to allow the
vibration sensor to work.

I have a vacuum system to my Unisaw, a 2 HP bandsaw, and a 6 inch Jet
jointer. ANy wods of wisdom on using Ecogate (or their competitor) on
these tools? BTW, my other tools are hooked up to a Fein Turbo II - I
move them around a lot in my tiny shop.

Gene T

This one is not tool activated but is instead blast gate activated. It's
also a fraction of the cost of the Ecogate system.
Gene
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...&FamilyID=5031
"Never Enough Money" wrote in message
oups.com...
A search gives me quite a few hits on "Ecogate" from this group. Hope
my questions below haven't been answered before....

Are there any competitors to Ecogate (http://www.ecogate.com/)? By that
I mean, companies that have tool activated blast gate opening and duct
collection power on/off?

One post said the vibration sensors aren't very good -- use the
toroidal sensors, instead. Hmm. According to Ecogate's web page, the
toroidal sensors only work on machines with motors no larger than 2 HP.
My Unisaw is 3 HP. Does the Unisaw have enough vibration to allow the
vibration sensor to work.

I have a vacuum system to my Unisaw, a 2 HP bandsaw, and a 6 inch Jet
jointer. ANy wods of wisdom on using Ecogate (or their competitor) on
these tools? BTW, my other tools are hooked up to a Fein Turbo II - I
move them around a lot in my tiny shop.

Pat Payne

I have had the Ecogate for 5 or 6 years and love it.

Never Enough Money

Pat said: "I ahve had the Ecogate for 5 or 6 years and love it."

Pat, do you have the toroidal sensors or the vibration sensors? I'm
wondering if the vibration sensors will work on my smooth Unisaw,
Lahuna bandsaw, and jet jointer. I'm buiding Norm's "New Improved
Router table" and want to hook my dust collection system to it, too.

Never Enough Money

Thanks Gene and Pat for your responses. It surprises me that more
people in this group haven't used Ecogate (or something similar) since
there are numerous posts about ways to save time. People use
extraordinary means to make woodworking easier and faster but
apparently many still open the desired blast gate, close the others,
turn on the dust collection system, walk over to the tool, turn on the
tool, make the cut, turn the tool off, walk over to the dust collection
system, turn it off, or open another gate, close the one that was open
and so on....

I see elaborate homebuilt router tables, panel saws, and jigs but only
two responses on an automated dust collection system. Hmmm.

Never Enough Money

I have been told that the last three issues of Woodwork magazine has
covered building electrically activated dust collection systems and
blast gates. However, I haven't been able to find the magazine.....I'll
see if the library carries it.

Duane Bozarth

Never Enough Money wrote:

Thanks Gene and Pat for your responses. It surprises me that more
people in this group haven't used Ecogate (or something similar) since
there are numerous posts about ways to save time. People use
extraordinary means to make woodworking easier and faster but
apparently many still open the desired blast gate, close the others,
turn on the dust collection system, walk over to the tool, turn on the
tool, make the cut, turn the tool off, walk over to the dust collection
system, turn it off, or open another gate, close the one that was open
and so on....

I see elaborate homebuilt router tables, panel saws, and jigs but only
two responses on an automated dust collection system. Hmmm.

I think two factors predominate here...

1. Shop-wide DC isn't very common overall for hobby-type ww'er, and
2. $$$
Brian Elfert

"Never Enough Money" writes:

Thanks Gene and Pat for your responses. It surprises me that more
people in this group haven't used Ecogate (or something similar) since
there are numerous posts about ways to save time. People use

I bought a used Ecogate controller off Ebay, but I haven't had time to
install the ductwork for my dust collector yet. I can't comment on
performance since I haven't used it yet.

I think most hobby woodworkers would rather buy another tool that actually
touches the wood instead for the $450 the Ecogate costs.

Brian Elfert
Unquestionably Confused

on 6/15/2005 9:04 AM Duane Bozarth said the following:

I see elaborate homebuilt router tables, panel saws, and jigs but only
two responses on an automated dust collection system. Hmmm.

I think two factors predominate here...

1. Shop-wide DC isn't very common overall for hobby-type ww'er, and

Gotta agree although I hope to increase that number by one this summerg

2. $$$

Automated, perhaps. Remote? Hell, what's $60 or so to control either a
110v or 220v DC? Carry the remote on one of the reel type key chains
and you're good to go.

Never Enough Money

Does this remote control the blast gates or jsut the dust collection
system? Where does one find such a remote?

Unquestionably Confused

on 6/15/2005 11:06 AM Never Enough Money said the following:
Does this remote control the blast gates or jsut the dust collection
system? Where does one find such a remote?

If that was directed at my post, the remotes I've seen control ONLY the
DC. Check Rockler's, Woodcraft. I think that's where I've seen them.
I know they're out there and I've seen them within the past month or so
at that price range.

Unquestionably Confused

on 6/15/2005 11:06 AM Never Enough Money said the following:
Does this remote control the blast gates or jsut the dust collection
system? Where does one find such a remote?

Whoopsie! Here you go, Woodcraft has them and I was a tad high on the price

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyID=5117

Pat Payne

I have 8 stations, 7 are the vibration sensors and 1 is toroidal for the
router table and other portable tools like sanders on a pegboard topped dust
table. The vibration sensor work on my table saw, which is a heavy duty
German saw. I would guess it would be no problem on a unisaw. I recommend
Ecogate and am very happy that I got it. I put off getting a dust control
system for years. My only regret is that I didn't get it sooner.

Bob G.

On 15 Jun 2005 09:06:42 -0700, "Never Enough Money"
wrote:

Does this remote control the blast gates or jsut the dust collection
system? Where does one find such a remote?

==============
Before I lost my remote I asked that same question every...
(where do I one find such a remote ?...or where the He** did I lay it
down now?...

Neighbor is an electrician and he hard wired my DC and intalled
8 switches around my shop so I never have to take more then 2-3 steps
to fire the DC up or turn it off... does not work with the blast
gates ... back to square one on those...

Bob G.

D. J. MCBRIDE

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
on 6/15/2005 11:06 AM Never Enough Money said the following:
Does this remote control the blast gates or jsut the dust collection
system? Where does one find such a remote?

Whoopsie! Here you go, Woodcraft has them and I was a tad high on the
price

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyID=5117

Wow! I'm not sure if I can part with my 88 inch piece of 1X1 maple
I use as my DC remote control.
Blast gates? Even though I have (since 1997) a 2hp JET with twin
intakes I can't remember ever having uncapped the second one. Doesn't
everyone reach under the table saw and then relocate the hose to the
joiner? And, I can't use the TS anyway when I have the portable planer
set up on top of it.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston