Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Dr. Deb

Default Incra Customer Service

I am not talking about the division of the company but how they actually
treat their customers. About six months ago I bought an Incra 2000 miter
gauge in a moment of weakness. It gleamed, looked great and the price was
not bad.

I hate to reveal such a huge indiscretion, but I actually read the manual to
see how to set the thing up. The results were less than optimal. The "45"
worked fine but anything lower did not. I called Taylor Design Technical
Support and got the guy who wrote the manual. His response was, "Yes, I
know, that is a mistake. I thought it was right but found out it wasn't.
What you need to do is set it for some poly sided angle - anything but 90
degrees.

Time passed and I had a slow day in the shop and a rather large project in
which I would be making a lot of repetitive cuts, so I decided to set the
Incra 2000 according to Tech Support. I set if on "10 degrees" and cut my
test pieces. Worked like a champ. I tried it on a 12 sided ring, and
thought," The joints are not as tight, but I probably did something wrong.
I set it on 45 degrees and cut all my stock. It did not work.

This morning I called Taylor Design to ask for some advice and got the same
guy I had talked to six weeks ago. I told him what I had done for the
setup and was about to ask, "What now, Coach?" when he says, "The only
thing to do is send you a new one." I gulped and thanked him but said I
was really only asking for advice. He said, "You have done exactly what
you should have and there is evidently a problem in the gauge." He then
said, "In fact, I will send you any miter gauge you want, except the 3000
(because of the extra cost)." He highly recommended the 1000SE over the
2000. You think I am going to second guess him at this point. I asked if
he wanted me to send the 2000 back and he said, "No, you can keep it."

His rationale for his rash actions? He said, during the course of our
conversation, "We are not the only players in this field and we want our
customers happy."

It kinda restores you faith in American business.

Deb