Winnie Oakbob

Default How to create a wooden spaceship ???

I want to leave this boring planet soon and I need a
spaceship.Unfortunately, I cannot afford expensive metals, so I think
a wooden spaceship is enough.

Which kind of wood do you recommend to build a spaceship ???
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Winnie Oakbob wrote:
I want to leave this boring planet soon and I need a
spaceship.Unfortunately, I cannot afford expensive metals, so I think
a wooden spaceship is enough.

Which kind of wood do you recommend to build a spaceship ???

This is a "solved problem"

Do a google search for: "stage tree" Niven

Morris Dovey

"Winnie Oakbob" wrote in message
om...
I want to leave this boring planet soon and I need a
spaceship.Unfortunately, I cannot afford expensive metals, so I think
a wooden spaceship is enough.

Which kind of wood do you recommend to build a spaceship ???

Hmm. Balsa has a good strength:weight ratio and is fairly easy to shape. On
the other hand, some of the manufactured wood products are edible when
soaked in water. AppleBoard(tm), for example, when soaked for 15-20 minutes
turns into acceptable applesauce. You'll probably want to panel your cabin
with wood from the rubber tree. Avoid hemlock for galley and mess use.

--
Morris

SouthForkSam

I would recommend using at least marine grade bs 1088 certified plywood
or maybe aviation grade. Then encapsulate it in epoxy, fibreglass
cloth, carbon fiber and kevlar (where applicable). I think using a
stitch and glue construction technique you could build a ship that
would get you into space.......as they say that the high end plwood is
as strong as steel but considerably lighter, but I can't see how a wood
based craft would survive the rigours of re-entry...... I mean it would
burn up, after all it is wood, right?

Good Luck.

Ground control to Major Tom.

tom

SouthForkSam wrote:
snip I can't see how a wood
based craft would survive the rigours of re-entry...... I mean it would

burn up, after all it is wood, right?

Ahh, but the OP doesn't want to come back (OK by me). Perhaps an
airless planet or asteroid could provide a less "heated" reentry? Tom

Robatoy

In article ,
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

Hmm. Balsa has a good strength:weight ratio and is fairly easy to shape

How does it stand up to re-entry?
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:30:50 -0400, Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

Hmm. Balsa has a good strength:weight ratio and is fairly easy to shape

How does it stand up to re-entry?

You do know that oak has been used for heatshield material, yes?
Ablates quite well, but single-use only, obviously.

Bill

"Morris Dovey" wrote:

Hmm. Balsa has a good strength:weight ratio and is fairly easy to shape

How does it stand up to re-entry?

Not an issue.

He's not coming back.

Bill

Morris Dovey

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Morris Dovey" wrote:

Hmm. Balsa has a good strength:weight ratio and is fairly easy to shape

How does it stand up to re-entry?

There will be no re-entry and probably not a great deal of standing up, too.

[-8

--
Morris

Posted to rec.woodworking,hun.hobbi,alt.birthright
leonard

balsa

Posted to rec.woodworking,hun.hobbi,alt.birthright
Contrarian

In rec.woodworking Winnie Oakbob did ask:

Which kind of wood do you recommend to build a spaceship ???

Bob Shaw's books have some suggestions.
Posted to rec.woodworking,hun.hobbi,alt.birthright
Larry Blanchard

Joe_Stein wrote:

Warp(ed)

Winnie Oakbob wrote:

I want to leave this boring planet soon and I need a
spaceship.Unfortunately, I

Note "keeping score" groups:

rec.woodworking,hun.hobbi,alt.birthright

QUIT FEEDING THE TROLLS!

--
It's turtles, all the way down