bridger

Default foley bwlsaw planer molder

semi- gloat

so I just snagged an old belsaw molder on ebay for .... heh heh...
eighty one bucks...

/semi- gloat

now I gotta go pick it up. as in literally get it into the back of my
truck. anybody know the weight of this thing?

model 9103. I have been to the OWWM and to belsaw's site and I'm still a
little unsure where this machine fits into their lineup. it looks like
it was pretty early but I don't have a manufacture date yet. some of
these had a shaft to mount a circular saw blade mid-infeed to rip and
plane in one shot, but I don't think this one does. s'okay, I have
plenty of other ways to rip stuff up. there was also a model with (I
think) a jointer on it. I have a perfectly nice 8" jointer, so I neither
want nor need that on my molder. just a nice heavy duty 12" planer with
capacity to make moldings.

anyone else have one of these and can offer any sage words of advice?
Greg O

"bridger" wrote in message
semi- gloat

so I just snagged an old belsaw molder on ebay for .... heh heh...
eighty one bucks...

/semi- gloat

now I gotta go pick it up. as in literally get it into the back of my
truck. anybody know the weight of this thing?

My neighbor has one, it is a good machine. As for the weight, I donno, but
if you remove the planer from the base, 4 bolts I believe, it should be a
easy two man job to load 'er up.
Greg

Mike

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 09:57:44 -0700, bridger
wrote:

so I just snagged an old belsaw molder on ebay for .... heh heh...
eighty one bucks...
now I gotta go pick it up. as in literally get it into the back of my
truck. anybody know the weight of this thing?

I bought a foley/belsaw 12" planer/molder several years ago at a
sealed bid auction. A local lumber yard was closing and had a bunch
of stuff for sale. I bid on the planer/molder, 3 Senco staple guns,
two Senco pinners and two 10" Makita chop saws thinking I wouldn't
buy any of them. As it turned out, the $400 I had bid on the stuff
bought it all.
I think the one planer/molder I bought may have been a little newer
but it looked very similar. They put the planer in my truck with a
fork-lift but two of us unloaded it. As it turned out, I sold the
planer before I had even used it. Me and the 60 year old guy who
bought it got it in the back of his truck. The one I bought was all
that two guys could handle. If you can get the motor off, I think two
guys could handle it easily.

Mike O.

George

wrote:

so I just snagged an old belsaw molder on ebay for .... heh heh...
eighty one bucks...
now I gotta go pick it up. as in literally get it into the back of my
truck. anybody know the weight of this thing?

I think the one planer/molder I bought may have been a little newer
but it looked very similar. They put the planer in my truck with a
fork-lift but two of us unloaded it. As it turned out, I sold the
planer before I had even used it. Me and the 60 year old guy who
bought it got it in the back of his truck. The one I bought was all
that two guys could handle. If you can get the motor off, I think two
guys could handle it easily.

Motor's in the base, or was in the one I helped heft. Made for two fairly
equal but bulky packages, but two-man (with gloves for the sheet metal grab)
handling was easy.

Wasn't long after moving Al's that I got my 13" Rockwell, which came with
handles. Heavier, but easier.

I have a Belsaw 9103 that looks very similar to yours. I thought I got
a deal for mine for $200 at a County surplus auction. So you suck!

It is heavy AND awkward to move. My guess is 200+lbs. Two men CAN do
it, but the more the better. The main issue with moving, as with any
large tool, is to not move by using the in/outfeed tables. My brother
and I grabbed areas of the base which as previously posted will require
gloves and long sleeves, as the edges will cut you. If yours is like
mine, you will no doubt get some cuts whenever working inside the base.

You will likely need a dedicated circuit for it as it needs amps to
start. Check the parallelism (sp?)of the cutter head. I had to undo
the chain and rotate the left side gears one or two links to get within
..001. I just a made mobile base, made it 25x25 from 3/4 ply with 3"
casters. This actually made the tables the same height as jointer and
table saw. If you find a way to make a dust port for it let me know,
as this bad boy spews loads of chips everywhere...

Enjoy!
SS

JOINTING WITH A PLANER J T Woodworking 4 January 3rd 05 11:54 PM
DIY planer blade sharpening revisitied:-) Lyndell Thompson Woodworking 0 March 25th 04 03:15 AM
Wide Planer, or Compact Planer + Wide Sander? Nate B Woodworking 5 January 21st 04 08:19 PM
DeWalt 735 planer review. BRFordJr Woodworking 11 December 16th 03 03:44 PM
FS: Williams and Hussey Molder Planer Tom Watson Woodworking 5 December 1st 03 03:24 PM