wayne

Default jointing question

i am just getting into wood working and i am having a tough time
cutting a stright line even with a straight edge.my question is this
....on a board that has been cut crooked...how do you straighten out
that edge?or say you have a board where all the edges are crooked,how
would you straighten out one edge?

thanks,
wayne

Morris Dovey

"wayne" wrote in message
oups.com...

i am just getting into wood working and i am having a tough time
cutting a stright line even with a straight edge.my question is this
...on a board that has been cut crooked...how do you straighten out
that edge?or say you have a board where all the edges are crooked,how
would you straighten out one edge?

That's exactly the job planes were invented to do.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

bridger

In article .com,
"wayne" wrote:

i am just getting into wood working and i am having a tough time
cutting a stright line even with a straight edge.my question is this
...on a board that has been cut crooked...how do you straighten out
that edge?or say you have a board where all the edges are crooked,how
would you straighten out one edge?

thanks,
wayne

the easiest thing of course is to already have a straight edge you can
count on to be accurate. then you can use it as a guide when making your
subsequent jigs and such. the factory edge of a sheet of quality plywood
is usually pretty good.

for some good reading material, start he
http://www.amgron.clara.net/
Mike Richardson

The paranoid me says - how do you know it is called jointing, and yet don't
know the first thing about it?

Sorry - I go take a pill.

:-)

"wayne" wrote in message
oups.com...
i am just getting into wood working and i am having a tough time
cutting a stright line even with a straight edge.my question is this
...on a board that has been cut crooked...how do you straighten out
that edge?or say you have a board where all the edges are crooked,how
would you straighten out one edge?

thanks,
wayne

George

"wayne" wrote in message
oups.com...
i am just getting into wood working and i am having a tough time
cutting a stright line even with a straight edge.my question is this
...on a board that has been cut crooked...how do you straighten out
that edge?or say you have a board where all the edges are crooked,how
would you straighten out one edge?

Take off the high spots on one face. Can use electricity or armstrong.
Then reference the others to it.

Guess who

On 5 Jun 2005 20:48:43 -0700, "wayne" wrote:

i am just getting into wood working and i am having a tough time
cutting a stright line even with a straight edge.my question is this
...on a board that has been cut crooked...how do you straighten out
that edge?or say you have a board where all the edges are crooked,how
would you straighten out one edge?

1. Glue/tack a piece that has a straight edge to one side, realising
how much you are willing to waste [if seeing tack-holes] if necessary,
but also judging safety ...not *too* close to the edge. Run through
the Table saw cutting the other edge first. Then use that to make
your second cut. If the one side will be hidden in the finished
piece, don't worry about tack holes.

2. Clamp a Straight edge and use a router with a straight bit.

3. I've come reasonably close freehand with a skill-saw with great
care and caution. Close enough to get a decent edge to run against
the fence for a clean cut on the other edge.

Think safety first! I've been doing it for years, and now have a
small, but clearly visible L-shaped gouge in my forehead to remind me
I'm still a Learner.

Hax Planx

wayne says...

i am just getting into wood working and i am having a tough time
cutting a stright line even with a straight edge.my question is this
...on a board that has been cut crooked...how do you straighten out
that edge?or say you have a board where all the edges are crooked,how
would you straighten out one edge?

thanks,
wayne

I double stick tape a 48" aluminum ruler/tool guide so that it protrudes
just off the edge of the wood and run it through the table saw with the
ruler referencing the fence.
Pat Barber

To "force" a straight edge, place the board in question
on a "cariier". This "carrier" can be a piece of cheap
1/2" mdf but it needs to be slightly bigger than the
stock you are making straight.

Using screws, attach the board to the carrier leaving only
a small amount over the edge of the carrier. This will be
the part removed. Using the factory edge of the carrier,
run it through the table saw. You will then have a board
with "ONE" straight edge. Remove it from the carrier and
using the new edge, rip the board again.

wayne wrote:

i am just getting into wood working and i am having a tough time
cutting a stright line even with a straight edge.my question is this
...on a board that has been cut crooked...how do you straighten out
that edge?or say you have a board where all the edges are crooked,how
would you straighten out one edge?

thanks,
wayne

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
1st time jointing cherry--getting tear out Ian Dodd Woodworking 11 October 27th 04 06:58 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM