Upscale

"Neil Williams" wrote in message news:9ivoe.4090
I need to do a built-in home office setup for SWMBO after
her eyes popped out at a local company's quote. Any
recommendations out there for good books that cover
both design and construction? I don't need help on
joinery and such, but I do need details on things like
face frames, molding, dimensions, installation, etc.

Why not pull a Norm? Go into an office store, a furniture store or whatever,
find stuff you like and take measurements. Take a digital camera and a tape
measure. If questioned on the use of them, say that you'll need to get
approval from the wife before making any purchases and you need to measure
to make sure it will fit in your limited size office.

Building your own office stuff means that much of it will be made to size,
so a book which maybe useful in one sense will not help you out in other
areas. Sounds like you just need to see some products to get some ideas.

Lee Michaels

"Neil Williams" wrote in message news:9ivoe.4090
I need to do a built-in home office setup for SWMBO after
her eyes popped out at a local company's quote. Any
recommendations out there for good books that cover
both design and construction? I don't need help on
joinery and such, but I do need details on things like
face frames, molding, dimensions, installation, etc.

I have seen some builtin type of home offices that were very nice.
Basically, they were gloirified kitchen cabinets. Only instead of making
allowances for stoves, sinks, etc, they sections for desks, computers, etc.

If you go the built in route, just thing kitchen cabinets. Just a little
bigger and organized differently.

Tom Watson

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 21:44:21 -0700, "Neil Williams"
wrote:

I need to do a built-in home office setup for SWMBO after
her eyes popped out at a local company's quote. Any
recommendations out there for good books that cover
both design and construction? I don't need help on
joinery and such, but I do need details on things like
face frames, molding, dimensions, installation, etc.

--Neil

Go to Amazon.com.

In the Books area, search using Home Office as the search terms.

I'd pay particular attention to the offering from Taunton.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Han

"Neil Williams" wrote in news:9ivoe.4090$Er.1601
@fed1read02:

I need to do a built-in home office setup for SWMBO after
her eyes popped out at a local company's quote. Any
recommendations out there for good books that cover
both design and construction? I don't need help on
joinery and such, but I do need details on things like
face frames, molding, dimensions, installation, etc.

--Neil

Also take a look at Ikea stuff, either the catalog, or one of the stores.
For us, the new(ish) store at the the intersection of New Jersey Routes 17
and 4 has come close to a financial disaster. While not all really "built-
in" we really like our space now (former master bedroom).

--
Best regards
Han

Mike

wrote:

I need to do a built-in home office setup for SWMBO after
her eyes popped out at a local company's quote. Any
recommendations out there for good books that cover
both design and construction? I don't need help on
joinery and such, but I do need details on things like
face frames, molding, dimensions, installation, etc.

Most desk tops are at a height of 30"- 32" for use with a normal desk
chair. I'm not saying the desk can't be taller than that but make
sure your desk chair will work. Depth is a matter of taste but you
can go 24" (plus binding) and get 2 runs out of your sheet goods. If
you don't want to deal with laminate or hard surface you can use a
finished wood top but you might need a desk pad to help protect the
top especially if it's plywood.
We normally custom build them to accommodate the customer's equipment.
These days Mom & Dad want to be pretty close to the kids while they
are on the PC and it's pretty common to have two knee space areas.
Design is normally not much problem. We usually ask what kind of knee
space(s) a customer needs and go from there. Do you need a lot of
drawers? Do need file drawer space? Do you want pull-out
keyboard(s)? Do you need to hide the PC and or printer? Hardware is
available to do just about anything.

I don't know how much building or finishing you want to do. You can
use manufactured cabinets but kitchen cabinets may be too tall (36"
w/top) to be comfortable with most desk chairs. It is possible to cut
down the toe spaces to shorten them. You can also look at vanity
cabinets. The vanity cabinets will be okay for height but will likely
be only 21" in depth. If you still need a 24" (or deeper) top you can
pull the vanity cabinets away from the wall to allow for cords and
cables to run behind the cabinets. If you don't need or want doors
and drawers, you can just build a support network with a top. It's
just a matter of how extensive and how expensive you want the desk to
be.

Mike O.

The Chinese Menu School Of Design - Building Backwards - And Thoughts On Instant Patina Tom Watson Woodworking 4 March 1st 05 10:40 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
humidity in the house? Hamilton Audio Home Repair 30 June 19th 04 06:52 PM
Anyone use CAD software to design projects? Michael Press Woodworking 118 April 9th 04 02:08 AM