Default Threaded insert help...

I have a stainless threaded insert I need to install. It is 1/4 by 20,
which I assume refers to the threads INSIDE the insert.

In order to put it into some white oak, I need to drill a hole...how
big should the hole be?

Is trial and error the best way to find out?
joey

Probably 3/8" the various styles are slightly different size, the knife
threaded ones I use recommend 23/64". BTW these are really great inserts
from McMaster Carr use an Allen wrench to drive them in
Joey

wrote in message
I have a stainless threaded insert I need to install. It is 1/4 by 20,
which I assume refers to the threads INSIDE the insert.

In order to put it into some white oak, I need to drill a hole...how
big should the hole be?

Is trial and error the best way to find out?

woodworker88

Try this site. It lists the hole sizes depending on the coarseness of
the external threads:
http://www.barnhillbolt.com/ac b26/specs_browse.cfm?&DID=7&CA TID=76&Gr...

Except for one common mistake: His inserts are for wood, which have a
different thread pattern (longer, sharper, possibly tapered) than the
inserts on this site, which are for metal.

BobK207

I use the McMaster knife edge threaded ones (steel not "pot metal")
that install w/ an allen. I cut a short piece of allen wrench & put
it in my Makita. so I could push on them

The ones I used weren't stainless, I put them into MDF, did the trial &
error thing.

I think the od of them was close to 1/2" I think I used 7/16 or maybe
32nd less than 7/16.
Bigger pilot hole IMO is better than too small, less apt to rip up the
wood upon installation.

If your insert is the SS slotted drive one, they suggest a 3/8"
drilled hole; mihgt be a little tight for oak

here's the insertt info
90192A124
Hi-Strength Stl Knife-Thread Insert for Wood Hex Drive,
1/4"-20 Internal Thread,
25/32" Length
hr bar
Type Knife-Thread Inserts for Wood
Material Type Steel
Finish Plain
Steel Type High-Strength Steel
Drive High-Strength Hex Drive
System of Measurement Inch
Internal Thread Size 1/4"-20
Insert Length 25/32"
Drill Size 3/8"
Hex Key M6

cheers
Bob

Steve Knight

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 18:57:39 -0700, "joey" wrote:

Probably 3/8" the various styles are slightly different size, the knife
threaded ones I use recommend 23/64". BTW these are really great inserts
from McMaster Carr use an Allen wrench to drive them in

yes 3/8" usually the standard. though a slightly larger hole works a bit better.
on face grain the larger hole is better as it helps to keep face grain from
pulling up. I wish those inserts were not so spendy from them. I use thousands
and the difference between 1.00 and .20 is pretty big.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
BobK207

Steve-

Do you use EzLok type?

http://www.ezlok.com/index2.htm

maybe you can find a distributor that will give you a qty discount

One dollar each is spendy, in the qty you use 25 cents would be more
reasonable

Bob

Steve Knight

On 5 Jun 2005 06:26:13 -0700, "BobK207" wrote:

Steve-

Do you use EzLok type?

http://www.ezlok.com/index2.htm

maybe you can find a distributor that will give you a qty discount

looking at the site I already use them or ones just like them. I get steel ones
like their knife thread ones. I can get them locally at two places. the brass
ones are everywhere but they are not tough enough. the hex drive ones are way
too flimsy and tend to strip out when you use a hex driver. I also get the drive
in ones.
the better hex driven ones cost too much and I can't just pick some up when I
need them.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Randy

Most of the stainless inserts I've used, have a standard external
thread, 1/4-20 internal has a 3/8-16 external (iirc), take your insert
and check the external threads against a few bolts to see for sure.

I tap the hole to match the external thread. The tap will give a
clearance drill size, but go a little under what it lists.

If you have a vernier or dial caliper, just measure the minor diameter,
and drill slightly smaller. If you don't have the tap already, you can
buy a plastic dial indicator that measures 1/100th inches, and fractions
in 1/64ths, for around twenty five dollars. It costs a little more but
is a versatile tool you will probably use more frequently than the tap.

wrote:
I have a stainless threaded insert I need to install. It is 1/4 by 20,
which I assume refers to the threads INSIDE the insert.

In order to put it into some white oak, I need to drill a hole...how
big should the hole be?

Is trial and error the best way to find out?

Bill

wrote:
I have a stainless threaded insert I need to install. It is 1/4 by 20,
which I assume refers to the threads INSIDE the insert.

In order to put it into some white oak, I need to drill a hole...how
big should the hole be?

Is trial and error the best way to find out?

There is no need whatsoever for guesswork. Take a look here and follow the
link to Tap & Drill sizes.

http://www.frugalmachinist.com/miscdata.html

Bill

Bill

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 19:40:51 -0700, woodworker88 wrote:

Try this site. It lists the hole sizes depending on the coarseness of
the external threads:
http://www.barnhillbolt.com/ac b26/specs_browse.cfm?&DID=7&CA TID=76&Gr...

Except for one common mistake: His inserts are for wood, which have a
different thread pattern (longer, sharper, possibly tapered) than the
inserts on this site, which are for metal.

Perhaps, then, this link will be useful.

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-in...Hole-Size.aspx

BobK207

wood is different. I used the ones Steve mentions & I've gotten better
results going larger than the mfr recommends; less "up-lift" on the
face grain & less volcano cup on MDF.

YMMV

These made for wood inserts are not standard UNC thread.

cheers
Bob

The hex drive ones that I use are steel (not stainless) & they drive &
hold fine. The zinc alloy hex drive inserts suck.