Paul O.

Default boy, did I goof, any suggestions?

Making drawers for my nite stands and routed a groove around the inside
bottom for the drawer bottom to fit in. Well, on one drawer I finished
gluing up tonite, I was in a big rush to get the four pieces glued together
I forgot to put the drawer bottom in, which isn't even cut yet. Boy am I
****ed, at myself. No way am I cutting four more drawer pieces and routing
them and gluing them up. The only thing I can to think of to do, without
taking a chance of destroying the drawer trying to get one side or front
piece out, Is to glue 1/4 inch strips to the bottom 1/4 inch bottom of the
drawer and hopefully cut the bottom the exact size and squareness of the
drawer and push it down onto the strips. So, any other ideas I might be
missing? Thanks.

--
Paul O.

charlie b

Saw, route, carve out part of the bottom of the back of
the drawer so its bottom edge matches the top of the
groove in the sides of the drawer.

SIDE VIEW
FRONT BACK
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| +- --------------- +- +
| +- --------------- +
| | | -- cut off part of
bottom
+-+----------------+ of drawer back.

BACK VIEW
+--------------------------+
| : : |
| : : |
| : : |
| : : |
| _________________________

| |_ _| |
| | | |
+-+ +-+

Slide the drawer bottom in, cut a slot in
the center of the back edge and screw
the bottom to the bottom edge of the back
of the drawer. NO GLUE.

At least that's one way to go.

(and you aren't the first to make this OOPS!)

charlie b
Wes Stewart

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 01:59:35 GMT, "Paul O."
wrote:

Making drawers for my nite stands and routed a groove around the inside
bottom for the drawer bottom to fit in. Well, on one drawer I finished
gluing up tonite, I was in a big rush to get the four pieces glued together
I forgot to put the drawer bottom in, which isn't even cut yet. Boy am I
****ed, at myself. No way am I cutting four more drawer pieces and routing
them and gluing them up. The only thing I can to think of to do, without
taking a chance of destroying the drawer trying to get one side or front
piece out, Is to glue 1/4 inch strips to the bottom 1/4 inch bottom of the
drawer and hopefully cut the bottom the exact size and squareness of the
drawer and push it down onto the strips. So, any other ideas I might be
missing? Thanks.

Why don't you remove the bottom edge of the drawer back by routing or
sawing it off and slip the bottom in from the rear. Many drawers are
sort of made that way on purpose. (The sides are normally full depth,
just the back is reduced height) A brad through the bottom up into
the rear of the drawer holds the bottom in just fine.

Guess who

wrote:

No way am I cutting four more drawer pieces and routing
them and gluing them up.

Then it's your problem. We all screw up one time or another. I like
perfect as possible [but even I make mistakes!], so personally I'd
redo it fom scratch, then use the waste for other projects. It's a
learning experience, and I've learned a lot that way.

OR: Cut out the back, flush with the sides. leaving full length
sides. Use a chisel, or sharp knife to cut out any dado for the back
piece. It may be more time consuming, but you pay for your sins one
way or another. Redo only the back and reglue, remembering to first
put in the bottom.

toller

If I read the other suggestions properly, they want you to cut a slot for
the bottom in the back panel. That would probably work, but would be not be
particularly easy to do cleanly. (or maybe cut away the bottom part of the
back panel completely? That would certainly be easier, but look a whole lot
worse.)

I would use a router to change the dado to a rabbet; then just put the the
panel in. Securing it in place will take some imagination, but if you are
neat, no one will even notice.

I once assembled a cabinet, and the realized I forgot to rout the rabbet for
the back panel. The shelves made it a real challenge.

C & S

"toller" wrote in message
If I read the other suggestions properly, they want you to cut a slot for
the bottom in the back panel. That would probably work, but would be not

be
particularly easy to do cleanly. (or maybe cut away the bottom part of the
back panel completely? That would certainly be easier, but look a whole

lot
worse.)

Yes that way. As you said, cleaner. You pick up your chin and say "I meant
to do that".

.... And most people will buy it :-)

Eric Tonks

Cut a dado a little wider than the thickness of your bottom, through the
back into the dado you have cut inside. It will only show on the back wall
and a fraction of an inch on the back edge of each side. Slide in your
bottom. If you want to get it over quickly just pop in some brads. If you
want it neat cut a filler piece of wood and glue into the exposed parts of
the dado in the back wall and the back of the sides.

"Paul O." wrote in message
. com...
Making drawers for my nite stands and routed a groove around the inside
bottom for the drawer bottom to fit in. Well, on one drawer I finished
gluing up tonite, I was in a big rush to get the four pieces glued

together
I forgot to put the drawer bottom in, which isn't even cut yet. Boy am I
****ed, at myself. No way am I cutting four more drawer pieces and routing
them and gluing them up. The only thing I can to think of to do, without
taking a chance of destroying the drawer trying to get one side or front
piece out, Is to glue 1/4 inch strips to the bottom 1/4 inch bottom of the
drawer and hopefully cut the bottom the exact size and squareness of the
drawer and push it down onto the strips. So, any other ideas I might be
missing? Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Jonathan

"Paul O." wrote in message
. com...
Making drawers for my nite stands and routed a groove around the inside
bottom for the drawer bottom to fit in. Well, on one drawer I finished
gluing up tonite, I was in a big rush to get the four pieces glued
together I forgot to put the drawer bottom in, which isn't even cut yet.
Boy am I ****ed, at myself. No way am I cutting four more drawer pieces
and routing them and gluing them up. The only thing I can to think of to
do, without taking a chance of destroying the drawer trying to get one
side or front piece out, Is to glue 1/4 inch strips to the bottom 1/4 inch
bottom of the drawer and hopefully cut the bottom the exact size and
squareness of the drawer and push it down onto the strips. So, any other
ideas I might be missing? Thanks.

Can't you just apply some heat to release the glue? Won't most wood glue
release with heat? I use titebond 1, and a couple days ago I used a heat
gun (the kind they sell for removing paint) to undo a glue joint I screwed
up on a guitar I was building.

Jon

George E. Cawthon

Paul O. wrote:
Making drawers for my nite stands and routed a groove around the inside
bottom for the drawer bottom to fit in. Well, on one drawer I finished
gluing up tonite, I was in a big rush to get the four pieces glued together
I forgot to put the drawer bottom in, which isn't even cut yet. Boy am I
****ed, at myself. No way am I cutting four more drawer pieces and routing
them and gluing them up. The only thing I can to think of to do, without
taking a chance of destroying the drawer trying to get one side or front
piece out, Is to glue 1/4 inch strips to the bottom 1/4 inch bottom of the
drawer and hopefully cut the bottom the exact size and squareness of the
drawer and push it down onto the strips. So, any other ideas I might be
missing? Thanks.

Since night stand drawers are usually small, you
don't need a very thick bottom or to worry much
about wood dimension changes. I would make
triangles for the corners and a couple of strips
across the center to fit into the routed groove.
Then cut a bottom to fit and glue the bottom on
top of the triangles and strips.

Alternatively, route clear through the back, shove
the bottom in, make a thin strip to fit in the
rout with the correct space to allow the bottom to
move.