Mike S.

Default Leigh D1600

Has anyone tried the Leigh D1600 yet. From reading the specs it does exactly
what the D4 does but just a little shorter. For the $100. or so difference I
can't really see where I'd need the 24" over the 16" jig. Hmmm thinking.

--

Mike S.

http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm

Leon

"Mike S." wrote in message
Has anyone tried the Leigh D1600 yet. From reading the specs it does
exactly what the D4 does but just a little shorter. For the $100. or so
difference I can't really see where I'd need the 24" over the 16" jig.
Hmmm thinking.

The extra length is handy so that you can set up both ends of the jig to
mirror each other. This helps make opposite ends of joints appear
symmetrical.
For example if you only set the guide fingers on the left side of the jig
the opposite ends of the joint would look backwards if you used uneven
spacing. Say you make the spacing tight on the left side of the jig and
adjusted the fingers to be wider apart as they neared the center of the jig.
You cut one end of a piece, take the board out and flip it end for end and
make the cuts in the other end of the piece. The result would be thin tails
and pins at the top at on end of the piece and the opposite end would have
wider pins and tails near the top of the joint.

If you use both left and right sides of the jig and lay out one end of the
jig fingers to mirror the other end of the jig and then cut one end of the
piece on the left side, flip the piece end for end and cut on the opposite
end of the jig the result on the piece will be joints that mirror each
other.

With the 16" jig, you limit your self to about 8" vs. 12" if you use the
symmetrical set up described above.
If that would never be a problem go for the cheaper 16" model.

Ron Stitt

I just bought one and I think it is slick. The instruction manual is top
rate and the DVD even makes it better. I had a Sears dove tail jig....what a
pain. The D1600 works great.
I was kinda lucky, because Rockler was giving 15% off on all "regular priced
items" via the internet and so I ordered one and got 15% off. I noticed a
couple of days later they very quickly put the D1600 "on sale"......$10.00
off, so that it didn't apply to the 15% off any more. In my case I don't
think the 16" limit will be a handicap?

Ron Stitt

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"Mike S." wrote in message
[...]

Mike in Mystic

It definitely depends on what you plan to build, but I've used nearly the
full 24" capacity on my D4 many times. Most notably on blanket chests and
some chest carcases. I have also done what another responder suggested -
and set up for 2 parts to be cut in one set-up on either end of the jig.

I'm sure you'll love the jig - it is great and is really easy to learn (no
matter what some people would like you to believe).

Mike

"Mike S." wrote in message
Has anyone tried the Leigh D1600 yet. From reading the specs it does

exactly
what the D4 does but just a little shorter. For the $100. or so difference

can't really see where I'd need the 24" over the 16" jig. Hmmm thinking.

--

Mike S.

http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm

No-One

I bought the D4 with the intentions of "moving up" in the future, maybe
purchasing their other templates ...

JJS

Mike S. wrote:
Has anyone tried the Leigh D1600 yet. From reading the specs it does exactly
what the D4 does but just a little shorter. For the $100. or so difference I
can't really see where I'd need the 24" over the 16" jig. Hmmm thinking.

brianlanning

From reading the specs it does exactly
what the D4 does but just a little shorter.

The d4 can handle thicker stock. If you want to do casework, get the
d4. if all you'll ever do is drawers or smaller boxes, the d1600 is
probably enough.

brian

Any comments about the Leigh D1600? Patrick Conroy Woodworking 2 April 30th 05 12:30 AM
WOW - Got a Leigh FMT for my birthday! (Gloat) Charley Woodworking 4 April 2nd 05 04:46 AM
Leigh D1258r-12 Rick Cox Woodworking 7 November 2nd 04 12:26 AM
Leigh Dovetail Jig-personal reviews and best price ToolMiser Woodworking 18 October 26th 04 02:54 PM
Leigh D4 are supplied cutters enough? Eric the Red Woodworking 2 August 27th 03 02:39 AM