Anton

Default Which drillpress to buy?

I'm just to buy a drillpress, preferable my first and last - but which?
I am tempted to buy an Scheppach rab s16x
(www.scheppach.de/e_index.html) which is radial and floor standing.
Suggestions on other and comments regarding this drillpress much
appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Anton
No

You can see the press the OP is talking about in their catalog at
http://www.scheppach.de/Kataloge/wor...llmachines.pdf
Its a radial DP similar to
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G7945 but in a floor
standing model.

Anton - Good luck, I have no opinions on DPs. Obviously you are in Europe,
Nordic or Baltic region. I'm not sure if Grizzly will do business there but
they make a nice tool.

It may help if you told the regulars here what your intended use would be
and they may be able to give you better recommendations.

"Anton" wrote in message
I'm just to buy a drillpress, preferable my first and last - but which? I
am tempted to buy an Scheppach rab s16x (www.scheppach.de/e_index.html)
which is radial and floor standing. Suggestions on other and comments
regarding this drillpress much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Anton

Dave W

For what it is worth, I have a Craftsman bench mounted drill press that is
at least 80 years old. I find the floor models to be too tippy for safety.
Additionally, just last week I moved the bench drillpress to my new
workbench so I could drill 3/4 inch holes in the top. They came out
perfectly, square and tight. I don't think I have ever wished I had a floor
model.

Bob G.

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 08:07:42 -0400, "Dave W"
wrote:

For what it is worth, I have a Craftsman bench mounted drill press that is
at least 80 years old. I find the floor models to be too tippy for safety.
Additionally, just last week I moved the bench drillpress to my new
workbench so I could drill 3/4 inch holes in the top. They came out
perfectly, square and tight. I don't think I have ever wished I had a floor
model.

=======================================
I take just the opposite view.. but can see why someone with a very
small shop may wish to devote bench space to for a drill press rather
then give up floor space...

I have 3 drill presses in my woodshop...plus another one in my
garage.... even split 2 floor models 2 bench top units...

Give me the floor models.... Sorry but in 40 years I honestly have
never issues with either bing tipsy...

Not all that much difference betweent them...BUT I find myself using
the floor models 90 percent of the time..

Bob G.
Anton

Thanks for your answers. Seems that drillpresses are a well matured
product. However, my concerns are electrical motor, drill depth and
drill precision. As far as I have found 550 W and drill depth 80 mm (3
inch) is fairly standard. However, I have found a couple with 1100W and
drill depth 120 mm (4 inch) but weight twice as much. It might be a
problem for me to move the machine in place...

Finally, but for me important, is the precision of the chuck, that is
the tolerance of the holes - how much the drill moves sideways. Anyone
have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Anton

The longer quill stroke (120 mm vs 80 mm) is a distinct advantage.
Sometimes you find yourself lowering the table to get the drill bit in
the chuck and then having to raise the table back up to accomodate the
shorter stroke - a bothersome inconvenience, especially considering
that a DP should be a one time long lasting investment.

Many people put their heavy floor models on rolling stands. I did and
its easy to move. It allows me to store it in the corner. When I need
extra room for drilling holes in longer stock, I just step on the
release lever and roll it out into the room a foot or two.

I wouldn't be too concerned about top heavy safety issues. A table saw
or jointer poses far greater injury risk, yet thousands use them safely
every day. The drill press is going to suddenly fall on you unless you
provoke it severely.

Bob

woodworker88

how much the drill moves sideways

You would be refering to runout of the chuck.

As for my opinion, I have been using a ryobi 12" benchtop. great and
easy to use, practically indestructible.

Prometheus

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:41:53 GMT, Anton wrote:

Thanks for your answers. Seems that drillpresses are a well matured
product. However, my concerns are electrical motor, drill depth and
drill precision. As far as I have found 550 W and drill depth 80 mm (3
inch) is fairly standard. However, I have found a couple with 1100W and
drill depth 120 mm (4 inch) but weight twice as much. It might be a
problem for me to move the machine in place...

Finally, but for me important, is the precision of the chuck, that is
the tolerance of the holes - how much the drill moves sideways. Anyone
have any ideas?

A really cheap one might have a little runout in the chuck, but if
your holes slide sideways, it's often the bit's fault. Usually it's
that your feed rate is too fast, or the point of the drill is not
completely centered. If you have to drill quickly, for whatever
reason, you can spike the drill to about a 90 degree angle (as opposed
to the more standard 108) and it won't walk nearly as much. It will
get dull faster, though. Beyond that, just about every drill press
I've ever used worked just as well as any other. Clausing makes a
really nice one, if you're looking for something really heavy-duty.

Thanks in advance

Anton

Brian Elfert

"Dave W" writes:

For what it is worth, I have a Craftsman bench mounted drill press that is
at least 80 years old. I find the floor models to be too tippy for safety.

I have a General Canadian made drill press. I could barely tip it over if
I tried.

The cast iron base is huge. It takes two people to move the drill press.

Brian Elfert
Upscale

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message

I have a General Canadian made drill press. I could barely tip it over if
I tried.

A General Canadian model is what I'd buy. I've had my eye on one of the
models where the whole apparatus can slide up or down on the supporting
shaft.

Steve Knight

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:41:53 GMT, Anton wrote:

Thanks for your answers. Seems that drillpresses are a well matured
product. However, my concerns are electrical motor, drill depth and
drill precision. As far as I have found 550 W and drill depth 80 mm (3
inch) is fairly standard. However, I have found a couple with 1100W and
drill depth 120 mm (4 inch)

power on a drill press is not a much needed thing. usually belt slippage accor's
far before you run out of power.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes