Billy Smith

Default Need slow-drying glue.

I use white glue for gluing my projects. I prepare for the gluing
operation (i.e. get everything ready before I begin) and I
apply the glue quickly. But by the time I start assembling
and clamping, the pieces don't want to fit together because
the glue is half-dry.

I recall reading that white glue is slow-drying. Is there any
good glue that is slower-drying than white glue?

Lee Michaels

"Billy Smith" wrote in message
. ..
I use white glue for gluing my projects. I prepare for the gluing
operation (i.e. get everything ready before I begin) and I
apply the glue quickly. But by the time I start assembling
and clamping, the pieces don't want to fit together because
the glue is half-dry.

I recall reading that white glue is slow-drying. Is there any
good glue that is slower-drying than white glue?

Hide glue is the traditional slow drying glue. And when I say traditional,
I mean it has been around for hundreds of years.

CW

Claims 15 minutes of open time. Think Elmer's.

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:32:30 -0400, "Billy Smith"
wrote:

I recall reading that white glue is slow-drying. Is there any
good glue that is slower-drying than white glue?

Titebond Extend or Titebond III

http://www.titebond.com

Barry

Paul Franklin

wrote:

I use white glue for gluing my projects. I prepare for the gluing
operation (i.e. get everything ready before I begin) and I
apply the glue quickly. But by the time I start assembling
and clamping, the pieces don't want to fit together because
the glue is half-dry.

I recall reading that white glue is slow-drying. Is there any
good glue that is slower-drying than white glue?

White glue is actually one of the faster-drying glues.

Liquid hide glue is slower setting, perhaps an hour of working time.
It's available from Woodcraft and many hardware and lumberyards.

For even slower setting, you can use plastic resin glue. Dap makes
one variety. It comes in powder form. you mix with water. Can have
up to several hours of working time. It has to be clamped and left at
least 12-24 hours to set. Many of these glues have a dark glue line
that can be objectionable on light woods, however.

HTH,

Paul

WillR

Billy Smith wrote:
I use white glue for gluing my projects. I prepare for the gluing
operation (i.e. get everything ready before I begin) and I
apply the glue quickly. But by the time I start assembling
and clamping, the pieces don't want to fit together because
the glue is half-dry.

I recall reading that white glue is slow-drying. Is there any
good glue that is slower-drying than white glue?

See Fine Wood Working, April 2005, #176

Epoxy (4 to 45 minutes depending on formulation) or Polyurethane may be
your best bet.

*****************
From Lee Valley - re epoxy...
G1 (1:1 ratio) was developed for use on wooden airframes and offers long
working time at high temperatures (recommended for use at 20°C/70°F or
over; working time is 60 minutes and cure time is 24 hours). It is the
system of choice for projects where large areas are to be glued and when
maximum fatigue resistance is required (for skis, golf clubs, etc.).

G2 (2:1 ratio) is formulated to work well on oily and acidic woods (do
not use below 10°C/50°F; cure time is 48 hours at 10°C/50°F or 24 hours
at 20°C/70°F). Ideal where flexibility is required. The joint will yawn
rather than fracture.

****************

Open Time on Hide glue is typically 10 min (or less) depends on amount
of water. It is used a lot for veneering since it can set so fast. It is
used a lot to tack pieces together

I would recommend a trip to the Lee Valley site since they carry so many
glues -- you can see some good info there.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,110&p=42965

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

Duane Bozarth

Billy Smith wrote:

I use white glue for gluing my projects. I prepare for the gluing
operation (i.e. get everything ready before I begin) and I
apply the glue quickly. But by the time I start assembling
and clamping, the pieces don't want to fit together because
the glue is half-dry.

I recall reading that white glue is slow-drying. Is there any
good glue that is slower-drying than white glue?

In addition to other comments, maybe you're trying to glue up too many
component parts in one go?

Polyurethane (Gorrilla Glue as one example) is much longer open time but
is a pita to work with relative to PVA types for cleanup, etc.
woodworker88

Try thinning the glue down a little bit with water--less glue=more
solvent that needs to evaporate (water). Or try chilling the glue in
the refridgerator prior to use--the warmer the glue, the faster it will
harden.
Hope this helps