J T

Default Need Input On A Proposed Project

I've been wanting to make a steamboat from some time now, a
sidewheeler. But, figure I would pretty much have to make my own
trailer, or customize an existing one. Then there's the problem of
getting it on and off the trailer. Then ran across this site.
Something along those lines look like it would solve several problems
nicely.
http://www.robotoys.com/st_prod.html...227&p_catid=36

But, seeing as scientists have been trying to solve that same
problem with a viable solution for years, didn't really know how I could
come up with something that would work. Until I ran across this site.
I think this would solve my problem nicely.
http://www.mines.edu/Outreach/Cont_E...lding/6leg.htm

Whatcha think?

JOAT
Failure is ALWAYS an option.
- JOAT

Dave Jackson

Well JT, My suggestion is you forget the steam power and incorporate the
turbo charged small block that was for the Luv truck (that is if you found
another turbo unit) and make a double side wheeler. Then fabricate a long
narrow *tilting* trailer that you could drive the thing onto. I guess the
trailer would need a pretty high lift kit, and maybe some 44" super swampers
to keep the side wheels from dragging the ground when transporting.
The double side wheels could make the thing operate like a bob cat (skid
steer - one full reverse, one full forward to turn the thing), and you could
get a narrowed Ford 9" rear end to mount the side wheels to (maybe the
first pro stock steamer?)
Don't forget to put the *chrome* headers on upside down, like the ones I
see on all the race boats out on the lake, that'd just be way cool on a
steam boat! --dave

"J T" wrote in message
I've been wanting to make a steamboat from some time now, a
sidewheeler. But, figure I would pretty much have to make my own
trailer, or customize an existing one. Then there's the problem of
getting it on and off the trailer. Then ran across this site.
Something along those lines look like it would solve several problems
nicely.
http://www.robotoys.com/st_prod.html...227&p_catid=36

But, seeing as scientists have been trying to solve that same
problem with a viable solution for years, didn't really know how I could
come up with something that would work. Until I ran across this site.
I think this would solve my problem nicely.
http://www.mines.edu/Outreach/Cont_E...lding/6leg.htm

Whatcha think?

JOAT
Failure is ALWAYS an option.
- JOAT

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
J T wrote:
I've been wanting to make a steamboat from some time now, a
sidewheeler. But, figure I would pretty much have to make my own
trailer, or customize an existing one. Then there's the problem of
getting it on and off the trailer.

Trailering is really not all that much of a problem.

paddlewheels do not go all that far below the waterline.

With a conventional 'Deep V' hull shape, I can't see why you'd need
any trailer mods.

On and off would be just like with any other craft. back the trailer
down the ramp till she's roughly afloat, and push. Or winch in.

Now, if you're trying to build a replica of a historical 'flat bottom
barge' type, then the need for non-standard trailer capabilities does
arise. But, even then, on/off is no more of an issue than with standard
trailer designs. you have supports that allow front/back motion *only*,
and something to snub it up against, so it doesn't move when you don't
want it to.

The issues _are_ relatively minor. go for it!

J T

Tue, May 31, 2005, 6:29pm (EDT+4) (John=A0McCoy)
spoked:
Hum. I think you've just re-invented the Oruktor Amphibolos (*). That
wasn't exactly a success for Oliver Evans, it's not likely to be much
more of a success now.
(* I figure you can Google for it :-)

Nah, I already know what that is, and if I just wanted to wimp out
and have something with wheels I'd make one of those amphibious
thingies, or put floatation on a Jeep, or some honking big tires on one,
so it'd float. I want a boat, something vaguely along these lines,
except powered by a small steam engine, or two.
http://www.instantboats.com/madeline.htm And then, fitted with feet,
something along these lines.
http://www.robotoys.com/st_prod.html...7&p_catid=3D36 Wouldn'=
need to be fast, just able to move on it's own power, on and off the
trailer, and to launch, and unlaunch itself. That way I could use a
flatbed trailer, and store the boat somewhere, while I used the trailer
for other duties. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

JOAT
Viet Nam. Divorce. Cancer. Been there, done that, got over it. Life
is basically good.