J. Clarke

bremen68 wrote:

Ah children, there's a reason they're so cute...........It helps with
their survival. :-)

The glasses that the poster was thinking of earlier in the thread may
be Tervis Tumblers. (based out of Flordia I think) Really nice heavy
duty plastic glasses that don't sweat and look good. (no I don't work
for them) They come in a bunch of sizes and styles and are garaunteed
for life. (they back up that too, I've returned a few that the seal
went out of)

Another alternative is the Nissan Thermos JCE350, which has the advantage
that (a) it keeps cold drinks cold, (b) it keeps hot drinks hot, (c) drips
get caught before the get to the table, and (d) if you pull the glass liner
out the stainless steel insulator is an exact fit on a standard 12-ounce
soda or beer can.

There's also a JCA350 that has a commuter-mug top instead of the glass
liner--otherwise they are the same. Note one is JC_E_, the other is JC_A_.

Very, very nice, and really works--a can of soda will stay cold for hours.

I think you're best option is the glass top, it's not too expensive
considering the time you put into the piece and it's pretty much fool
proof.........Though the quickest way to make a fool think is make it
proof against their last attack. :-)

Good luck!!!

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Edwin Pawlowski

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

Another alternative is the Nissan Thermos JCE350, which has the advantage
that (a) it keeps cold drinks cold, (b) it keeps hot drinks hot,

Like hell it does. I put my hot coffee in there one morning, then some
cold soda on top for a break later in the day. When I opened it an hour
later, they were both about room temperature. And the layers got mixed too.

Patrick Conroy

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

(a) it keeps cold drinks cold, (b) it keeps hot drinks hot

Wasn't that a Steven Wright joke:

"How does it know?"
Renata

How 'bout having a piece of glass made to fit the top? At least for
use during those party occassions.

Renata

On Sat, 28 May 2005 11:35:25 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

CrackedHands wrote:

Thanks, it was shallac. But my real point is, what would be a socially
acceptable way to prevent people from being careless on your "proud
pieice of art"?

(Sorry if this is not directly related to the WW topic. But I guess
it's a problem that many of WWreckers might be facing.)

People who know you well you should be able to teach that the finish is
delicate and needs a certain amount of babying. Kids and relative
strangers may be a different story.

If this is something that is going to be used regularly instead of just
looked at you might want to consider redoing the top in polyurethane or
lacquer or varnish or something else that doesn't make white rings when it
gets wet. There are those who cringe at the thought of this, but to me
there are two kinds of furniture--museum pieces and pieces that are to be
used. And for those that are used (at least by us ordinary folk who don't
have dozens of spare rooms to fill with art) certain concessions of
artistic purity should be made in the interest of utility.

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:24:38 GMT, the inscrutable Patrick Conroy
spake:

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

(a) it keeps cold drinks cold, (b) it keeps hot drinks hot

Wasn't that a Steven Wright joke:

"How does it know?"

I love that guy. Here is a page of his best stuff:
http://meer.net/~mtoy/steven_wright.html

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-
Tom Watson

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:21:04 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I love that guy. Here is a page of his best stuff:
http://meer.net/~mtoy/steven_wright.html

When I lived in Manhattan during the Eighties, I spent some time going
out with his old girl friend.

One night he showed up while we were having dinner.

He wasn't funny.

I was tempted to say to him:

"You can't have everything, where would you keep it?"

I restrained myself.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)