Default bathroom hardwood floors leaking?

Hello,

We had recently visited an old house which had hardwood floors in the
bathroom on the 2nd floor. Whilst taking a shower some water must have
splashed out of the shower curtain, and the wallpaper on the ceiling
on the first floor got damaged. I am just wondering as to what might
have caused water to go through the hardwood floors to damage the
wallpaper.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
TP

Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

We had recently visited an old house which had hardwood floors in the
bathroom on the 2nd floor. Whilst taking a shower some water must have
splashed out of the shower curtain, and the wallpaper on the ceiling
on the first floor got damaged. I am just wondering as to what might
have caused water to go through the hardwood floors to damage the
wallpaper.

Any thoughts?

Probably not through the wood, but the joints between boards and at the ends
under moldings. Caulk edges, seal the rest of the floor.

Leon

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

We had recently visited an old house which had hardwood floors in the
bathroom on the 2nd floor. Whilst taking a shower some water must have
splashed out of the shower curtain, and the wallpaper on the ceiling
on the first floor got damaged. I am just wondering as to what might
have caused water to go through the hardwood floors to damage the
wallpaper.

Have you ever noticed the cracks between the boards?

D. J. MCBRIDE

"Leon" wrote in message
m...
Have you ever noticed the cracks between the boards?

I suspect they're seams; he didn't mention any cracks. Or joints;
yeah, joints.

--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Markus Romanoff

Sounds like the hardwood flooring was "engineered flooring". That type
of flooring is prefinished so you don't put a coat of polyurethane on
it like regular hardwood flooring. the lack of that "sealer" coat
could allow water to leak between the slats.

On 27 May 2005 07:25:14 -0700, wrote:

Hello,

We had recently visited an old house which had hardwood floors in the
bathroom on the 2nd floor. Whilst taking a shower some water must have
splashed out of the shower curtain, and the wallpaper on the ceiling
on the first floor got damaged. I am just wondering as to what might
have caused water to go through the hardwood floors to damage the
wallpaper.

Any thoughts?

thanks,
TP

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
D. J. MCBRIDE wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message
om...
Have you ever noticed the cracks between the boards?

I suspect they're seams; he didn't mention any cracks. Or joints;
yeah, joints.

The first word would be appropriate if the boards are BUTTed together, no?

Or am I being a little cheeky?
Brian Elfert

Markus Romanoff writes:

Sounds like the hardwood flooring was "engineered flooring". That type
of flooring is prefinished so you don't put a coat of polyurethane on
it like regular hardwood flooring. the lack of that "sealer" coat
could allow water to leak between the slats.

Regular hardwood floors don't seal any better than engineered flooring.
Hardwood floors expand and contract all the time. When the floor is
installed, there are no gaps, so the sealer doesn't seal the edges of the
boards.

Brian Elfert
John

Only fix here may be to pull up the floor, put down a waterproof
membrane to prevent the water from getting thru

John

On Tue, 31 May 2005 19:00:44 -0000, Brian Elfert
wrote:

Markus Romanoff writes:

Sounds like the hardwood flooring was "engineered flooring". That type
of flooring is prefinished so you don't put a coat of polyurethane on
it like regular hardwood flooring. the lack of that "sealer" coat
could allow water to leak between the slats.

Regular hardwood floors don't seal any better than engineered flooring.
Hardwood floors expand and contract all the time. When the floor is
installed, there are no gaps, so the sealer doesn't seal the edges of the
boards.

Brian Elfert

Mike Marlow

"John" wrote in message
Only fix here may be to pull up the floor, put down a waterproof
membrane to prevent the water from getting thru

That'll make any clean up down the road quite a chore. How about fixing the
problem and not worrying about the floor? The floor will survive a bathroom
with no leaks just fine. Fix the leaks, the floor is happy.

--

-Mike-

how to level & finish hardwood floors? Dan Home Repair 6 June 17th 04 02:59 PM
Hardwood Floors Tim Home Repair 8 April 8th 04 07:02 AM
Cracks in new hardwood floors Jim Beaver Home Repair 12 April 5th 04 06:02 PM
Hardwood floors in bathrooms Andy Hall UK diy 2 January 15th 04 11:11 PM
Help needed with dark hardwood floors Gary McG Home Repair 4 September 6th 03 10:57 PM