rickluce

Default bandsaw blades for gentle curves

Soooo....what kind of bandsaw blades are my fellow woodworkers using
for long gentle curves? Say for example on a 46 inch 3" piece of
quartered white oak. I was thinking 1/4" 3 tpi hook. Any comments? Any
particular, long lasting, blades you like? (i.e. Timberwolf,
Lennox(type?),Amana) Also, I have a Laguna 16" that, according to the
company, accepts 132" blades. Does anyone have any idea if 133"
blades(which seem to be the norm (not Norm)) work?
Your advice would greatly be appreciated as this is for a framed mirror
for my wifes B-day

Don

George

"rickluce" wrote in message
oups.com...
Soooo....what kind of bandsaw blades are my fellow woodworkers using
for long gentle curves? Say for example on a 46 inch 3" piece of
quartered white oak. I was thinking 1/4" 3 tpi hook. Any comments? Any
particular, long lasting, blades you like? (i.e. Timberwolf,
Lennox(type?),Amana) Also, I have a Laguna 16" that, according to the
company, accepts 132" blades. Does anyone have any idea if 133"
blades(which seem to be the norm (not Norm)) work?
Your advice would greatly be appreciated as this is for a framed mirror
for my wifes B-day

3" thick, I presume? Sure want something finer for thinner wood. Three or
four teeth, skip or hook ought to do with any of the above-mentioned. I use
Timberwolf, and they do well for me. For the gentle curve, I'd use
something wider than a quarter, certainly. 1/2 or 3/4 would be my choice.

You own the manual on the saw, which is where to look for a range of
acceptable, but a betting man would say the spring's got an extra half inch
of travel.

Order from Suffolk and get them made to the listed inch.

TWS

On Fri, 27 May 2005 07:49:43 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

snip

Order from Suffolk and get them made to the listed inch.

I agree with George, order direct from Suffolk and get the proper size
for your saw. Suffolk has good turn around and good prices. In fact,
their sales desk will recommend a blade if you tell them your
application.

TWS
rickluce

Thank you George and TWS. Actually, the board is 46" X 3"wide X 1"
thick. FYI. I've never heard of Suffolk, but will give them a try.

David

1/4" blade is too narrow for gentle curve over 43". Try 1/2" or wider.
The curve will be cut more smoothly with fewer deviations that if you
use a 1/4" blade.

Dave

rickluce wrote:

Soooo....what kind of bandsaw blades are my fellow woodworkers using
for long gentle curves? Say for example on a 46 inch 3" piece of
quartered white oak. I was thinking 1/4" 3 tpi hook. Any comments? Any
particular, long lasting, blades you like? (i.e. Timberwolf,
Lennox(type?),Amana) Also, I have a Laguna 16" that, according to the
company, accepts 132" blades. Does anyone have any idea if 133"
blades(which seem to be the norm (not Norm)) work?
Your advice would greatly be appreciated as this is for a framed mirror
for my wifes B-day

Don

no(SPAM)vasys

rickluce wrote:
Soooo....what kind of bandsaw blades are my fellow woodworkers using
for long gentle curves? Say for example on a 46 inch 3" piece of
quartered white oak. I was thinking 1/4" 3 tpi hook. Any comments? Any
particular, long lasting, blades you like? (i.e. Timberwolf,
Lennox(type?),Amana) Also, I have a Laguna 16" that, according to the
company, accepts 132" blades. Does anyone have any idea if 133"
blades(which seem to be the norm (not Norm)) work?
Your advice would greatly be appreciated as this is for a framed mirror
for my wifes B-day

Don

From Suffolk's (Timberwolf blades) web site:

"Always try to keep 6 to 8 teeth in the cut at all times; this is for
metal or wood cutting. It will give you stability and more of an
accurate cut when scrolling or straight-line cutting. This rule does not
apply when resawing or milling logs and cants. With a constant pitch,
the appropriate set of the teeth and the articulation of the hook angle
become the most important factors when using 1 1/4" to 2" resharpenable
and resettable blades. Please read "THE SIX RULES OF SAWING"."

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/six_rules.asp

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA