Default finishing pine

I just made a computer table out of some pine 1X that I salvaged from
an old shoe store. It had been used as shelving in the back room and
was never painted or varnished, so it has a nice patina. Isn't there
some kind of wax finish that's specially designed for this type of
wood? I remember seeing it in someone's home, where the person was
actually taking some kind of course in refinishing. If any grain depth
is revealed by varnishing, it looks like crap of course. But I can't
imagine a wax finish being able to hold up to coffee spills, and it's
got to be high maintenence, whatever else it is.

No

Paint?

Baron

You are absolutely correct in that a wax finish provides minimal
protection to a piece of wood. You are also correct in that it would be
high maintenance. I am unaware of any wax finish specifically made for pine
but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

I suggest you try a water based finish. This would not pop the grain
and almost all are completely colorless. A water based finish would provide
the level of protection required.

Good Luck.

oups.com...