Swingman

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

your (racial/ cultural/ class) bias is showing...

Just because everyone exclaims how wonderful and resplendant the king's
clothes are, doesn't hide the fact that he is naked. Neither then by
attempting to wrap some kind of aura of "culture" or "ethnicity" or

"social
standing" around a form of behavior that is then promoted as

entertainment,
despite the fact that numerous people clamor and buy it, does that make it
so. What's doubly frustrating is the fact that those who point out the
nudity are then accused of some sort of failing on their part.

"Music" has a long history of spotlighting cultural/ethnic differences ...
and one man's poi is another man's poison.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/05

On Fri, 27 May 2005 22:06:18 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

Just because everyone exclaims how wonderful and resplendant the king's
clothes are, doesn't hide the fact that he is naked. Neither then by
attempting to wrap some kind of aura of "culture" or "ethnicity" or "social
standing" around a form of behavior that is then promoted as entertainment,
despite the fact that numerous people clamor and buy it, does that make it
so. What's doubly frustrating is the fact that those who point out the
nudity are then accused of some sort of failing on their part.

in the early days of jazz it was railed against by narrowminded white
folks using the very arguments being used against rap today. how well
do you actually know rap music, Mark?
Mark & Juanita

wrote:

Just because everyone exclaims how wonderful and resplendant the king's
clothes are, doesn't hide the fact that he is naked. Neither then by
attempting to wrap some kind of aura of "culture" or "ethnicity" or "social
standing" around a form of behavior that is then promoted as entertainment,
despite the fact that numerous people clamor and buy it, does that make it
so. What's doubly frustrating is the fact that those who point out the
nudity are then accused of some sort of failing on their part.

in the early days of jazz it was railed against by narrowminded white
folks using the very arguments being used against rap today. how well
do you actually know rap music, Mark?

Believe it or not Bridger, I have actually listened to some of it. There
may even be a couple of rap "pieces" I've found somewhat entertaining, but
at an esoteric, occasional piece kind of way, certainly not as an entire
genre of music. My primary gripe is not only the fact that it is very
difficult to identify what one could call "music", but also the lyrical
content is hardly what one could call entertainment, unless of course one
enjoys the lilting lyrics of drunken sailors after they've mashed their
thumbs with hammers. Now, as far as the "music" portion goes, lest you
think this is a "narrow-minded white guy thing", I also find much modern
classical music lacking in this department as well. When you read in the
program, "xdx abandoned tonality at a young age, ...." you know that the
evening's program is *not* going to be pleasant. :-)

jo4hn

wrote:

[...]

To be sure, Ornette Coleman is a very difficult listen. Miles Davis can
be, but he can also set you on a course to Nirvana. Speaking of
Nirvana, they were also a difficult listen. I just couldn't understand
the words for the background noise. A young woman explained that they
were the poets of her age. I guess I couldn't get everything that Led
Zep sang either; the Beatles were something else.
mahalo,
jo4hn (happy birthday to me)
Mark Jerde

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Dell and Gateway used to have good customer
support, but now I never hear good about it.

I have had excellent support with Dell. (*) Tip: Buy computers &
maintenance contracts through their "Small Business" portal.

-- Mark

(*) Including getting a laptop 1600x1200 LCD replaced that had been damaged
by a BB gun. :-(

Dave in Fairfax

Mark Jerde wrote:
I have had excellent support with Dell. (*) Tip: Buy computers &
maintenance contracts through their "Small Business" portal.
(*) Including getting a laptop 1600x1200 LCD replaced that had been damaged
by a BB gun. :-(

I tried to buy a computer from them. They were doing this burger thing
about having it your way. I asked if I could have a computer built
without Winders, and with parts that were Linux supported. Two "NOs".
Apparently you can have any computer you want, as long as it's the one
by the door. Ought to call it Hobson's computer.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Lee DeRaud

On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:21:59 GMT, Dave in Fairfax
wrote:

I tried to buy a computer from them. They were doing this burger thing
about having it your way. I asked if I could have a computer built
without Winders, and with parts that were Linux supported. Two "NOs".

Dunno what parts you're having issues with, but we've never had a bit
of trouble getting Linux running on any of the Dells at work.

Lee
Dave in Fairfax

Lee DeRaud wrote:
Dunno what parts you're having issues with, but we've never had a bit
of trouble getting Linux running on any of the Dells at work.

Must be nice. I've been having Winmodem and scanner issues.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.com
no(SPAM)vasys

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Lee DeRaud wrote:

Dunno what parts you're having issues with, but we've never had a bit
of trouble getting Linux running on any of the Dells at work.

Must be nice. I've been having Winmodem and scanner issues.

It might be why they call it a Winmodem. ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
Dave in Fairfax

"no(SPAM)vasys" wrote:
It might be why they call it a Winmodem. ;-)

I get that. This is a USR and I wasn't expecting it to turn out to be a
Winmodem. Wouldn't have bought it if I'd seen that anywhere on the
packaging. The scanner is a bigger issue.

Dave in Fairfax

Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Home Repair 9 April 28th 04 05:45 PM
Mark Shafer's oil-beeswax gel finish (mini-review) B a r r y Woodworking 0 April 20th 04 11:33 AM
Patches of missing finish on oak tables -- how to repair and match color? Tekla Woodworking 1 March 5th 04 02:28 AM
"Dulling" a shellac finish Tim Schubach Woodworking 6 October 13th 03 06:22 AM