bob

Default abernathy vise

I picked up an Abernathy Vise No. 80D at a yard sale today. Twenty bucks.
The seller had cleaned it up and painted it yellow. Not my choice of color
for a vise, but, you take it like it comes. It has a dual slide mechanism
to prevent racking and has a quick release. I can't find anything on
Abernathy vises on the 'net. Anyone ever heard of them?

Bob

AAvK

I picked up an Abernathy Vise No. 80D at a yard sale today. Twenty bucks.
The seller had cleaned it up and painted it yellow. Not my choice of color for a vise, but, you take it like it comes. It has a
dual slide mechanism to prevent racking and has a quick release. I can't find anything on Abernathy vises on the 'net. Anyone
ever heard of them?

Bob

Is it an under-the-top woodworkers vise? Or a benchtop vise?

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

AAvK

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. It's an under the top mount.

Bob

What are the jaw dimensions and opening depth?

I got as lucky, or blessed, found an antique woodworkers vise made by
"American Scale Co. KS MS No. 204", $20 with an aluminum spacer
no doubt added later, shop made. Jaw faces are 7"x4" and a 12" opening
without cheeks (wood faces as jaws). It's got a quick action (not a quick
release), handle over the top all the way to the left and the thrreads are
off of the half-nut. Works great, on either end of the turn it will "snap"
into place.

Upload some shots if you would, I'll reply with mine.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Dave in Fairfax

bob wrote:
I picked up an Abernathy Vise No. 80D at a yard sale today. Twenty bucks.
The seller had cleaned it up and painted it yellow. Not my choice of color
for a vise, but, you take it like it comes. It has a dual slide mechanism
to prevent racking and has a quick release. I can't find anything on
Abernathy vises on the 'net. Anyone ever heard of them?

You give JOAT back his vise. I found this, not very useful but
all I got w/o really looking.
http://www.slpl.lib.mo.us/libsrc/exhbtors.htm
http://www.freshpatents.com/Quick-po...0040217531.php
Have you checked eBay?

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Patriarch

"bob" wrote in
:

Thanks. Hey, you know, I just bought a digital camera. I could post
a picture, couldn't I?

Not here. alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, or to a web site, with a link
here.

And I agree. JOAT will need his vise back. Probably one of his kids sold
it.

Patriarch