Lawrence L'Hote

Default Trainwreck Chair Fix

A lady friend brought over a chair for me to look at. The chair was dusty,
had a missing back spindle, the seat was broken in three pieces and the
tenon was broken off one of the side rungs. I rebuilt the tenon, glued the
seat back together(as best I could under the circumstances) with added
dutchmen on the bottom and, using that shaving horse I showed here 2 weeks
ago, made a new spindle. I thought I would post a few pix before I put a
finish on the spindle.
http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/Trainw.../chair1big.jpg

The back appears distorted but that is due to a poor photo take. Notice the
upscale photo drop????

And a closer up.

http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/Trainw.../chair2big.jpg

The circular carving on the new spindle looks a little high but that's
easily adjusted....the back isn't glued up yet.

I'll post some pix of the tenon fix and the seat reconstruction within a
week as soon as I get the finish on the spindle. The woman does not want to
strip off the old finish but wishes to leave it more-or-less as it is...with
all the dents, scratches and 'interesting' features of an old, used chair.
Ordinarily, I don't do work for other people but this will be the one
exception.

Larry

--
Columbia, MO
www.llhote.com

Looks like you have a good start on it, Larry. I'll be interested to
see your progress, especially how you go about matching the old finish.
Are you going to "distress" the new spindle?

Lawrence L'Hote

wrote in message
ups.com...
Looks like you have a good start on it, Larry. I'll be interested to
see your progress, especially how you go about matching the old finish.
Are you going to "distress" the new spindle?

The 3 remaining spindles show little 'distress' just some differences in
shading. At the moment the back is ready to be glued up. Finishing/staining
the new spindle to match the old caused me a little concern but I used
several other dowels of the same wood to get a match of the original finish.
You can imagine there are umteen dozen shades from very dark brown to light
brownish red on that chair and wear places that add character. I used a
mixture of water soluble dyes...a brown and an antique cherry. Then sealed
with shellac followed with a glaze of antique cherry gel and burnt umber
pigment and then rubbed a bit. Goooood match. I may dab a little of that
glaze on the old spindles to bring them a little closer to the new one. I'll
cook up a batch of hot hide glue tomorrow and glue up the back.. Early this
coming week, I'm planning to get some better quality pix of the finished
chair and details of the other two things the chair needed.

Larry

Lawrence L'Hote

"Wilson Lamb" wrote in message
ink.net...
I hope she is a good baker, or something!
Wilson

Could be...or something. ;-) I've contacted the lady to pick up her
chair. Following is a little bloviation about the process of fixing it. It
will be tough letting it go.

http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/Trainw...wreckchair.htm

Larry
--
Columbia, MO
www.llhote.com

Tim Douglass

On Sun, 15 May 2005 16:44:24 GMT, "Lawrence L'Hote"
wrote:

"Wilson Lamb" wrote in message
link.net...
I hope she is a good baker, or something!
Wilson

Could be...or something. ;-) I've contacted the lady to pick up her
chair. Following is a little bloviation about the process of fixing it. It
will be tough letting it go.

http://home.mchsi.com/~lhote5/Trainw...wreckchair.htm

A fine job of work there. Repairing chairs seems to be necessary
frequently around my world, but I've not done such careful jobs of
most of them. I really like the way you fixed the broken tenon, I'm
going to file that idea away for the next time I need to fix one.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Lawrence L'Hote

"Wilson Lamb" wrote in message
ink.net...
I hope she is a good baker, or something!

Well now....she's taking me out to din-din at the diner this Wednesday for
fixing her chair...FWIW

Larry

Lowell Holmes

[...]

I tried to open the jpg's, but couldn't get there. Is there a problem with
the links shown?
:-)

Lawrence L'Hote

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

I tried to open the jpg's, but couldn't get there. Is there a problem with
the links shown?
:-)

Someone else over on a.b.p.w brought this to my attention. Apparently, my
ISP, Mediacom, is having some problems. I can't get any of my sites, the
Mediacom Online website or my e-mail...curious, however, I CAN get
newsgroups. Mediacom seems to have a 'problem' once or twice a year.. I
only put up with Mediacom because I get 60 meg webspace with my
digital/internet connection.

Larry
--
Columbia, MO
www.llhote.com ----- it don't work right now(8:30 Central Daylite

Lowell Holmes

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message

I tried to open the jpg's, but couldn't get there. Is there a problem
with the links shown?
:-)

Someone else over on a.b.p.w brought this to my attention. Apparently, my
ISP, Mediacom, is having some problems. I can't get any of my sites, the
Mediacom Online website or my e-mail...curious, however, I CAN get
newsgroups. Mediacom seems to have a 'problem' once or twice a year.. I
only put up with Mediacom because I get 60 meg webspace with my
digital/internet connection.

Larry
--
Columbia, MO
www.llhote.com ----- it don't work right now(8:30 Central Daylite
Time)....maybe later...

Well,
I'll try again later. Thanks for responding.

Lowell Holmes

[...]

I can get through to see it now. It's an impressive job you did!