Tattooed and Dusty

Default tools for working wood

Does anyone have experience with this online retailer? I like their
selection, but their webpage is rough enough to make me honestly
sceptical. Hate to be nervous, but slick webpages make me feel
comfortable in this world of online scams

Andrew

Patriarch

"Tattooed and Dusty" wrote in
oups.com:

Does anyone have experience with this online retailer? I like their
selection, but their webpage is rough enough to make me honestly
sceptical. Hate to be nervous, but slick webpages make me feel
comfortable in this world of online scams

Andrew

This fellow has a good reputation, and has been around for some time. He's
an active participant on at least one forum. Excellent selection of hand
tools. Knows the 'old ways' pretty well.

I'd suggest starting with a modest order, for two reasons.

1) You get to make your own opinion.

2) You can spend some serious change on chisels, planes, braces, saws,
shaves, measuring tools, bits, augers, rasps, etc.

Patriarch
Tattooed and Dusty

Patriarch,
Thanks for the comments. I ordered a chisel, and will report back how
the process goes. Also placed an order with the japan woodworker for
some dovetail chisels. I hate waiting for shipping but I have been
lusting after some fancy pants chisels for quite sometime now.

Andrew

Todd Fatheree

"Tattooed and Dusty" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone have experience with this online retailer? I like their
selection, but their webpage is rough enough to make me honestly
sceptical. Hate to be nervous, but slick webpages make me feel
comfortable in this world of online scams

Andrew

I ordered a wood smoothing plane from them a year or so ago and had a very
good experience.

todd

Dave Miller

I had been considering Shapton stones, and found this site with a deal
-- got a set of 1000, 5000, and 8000 Shapton Professional stones for
about $205, or about $30 less than buying separate stones from Woodcraft
or about anyone else I could find.

Shipping was fast, no problems at all. Even a note on the invoice from
the owner thanking me for the order, another nice touch. I wouldn't
hesitate to order from them again.

Tattooed and Dusty wrote:
Does anyone have experience with this online retailer? I like their
selection, but their webpage is rough enough to make me honestly
sceptical. Hate to be nervous, but slick webpages make me feel
comfortable in this world of online scams

Andrew

Patriarch

"Tattooed and Dusty" wrote in
ups.com:

Patriarch,
Thanks for the comments. I ordered a chisel, and will report back how
the process goes. Also placed an order with the japan woodworker for
some dovetail chisels. I hate waiting for shipping but I have been
lusting after some fancy pants chisels for quite sometime now.

Japan Woodworker is in my area, and I've been in there a number of times.
Serious damage to the tool budget can be done in their hand tool selection.
Good people, with a long standing reputation.

Patriarch
Tattooed and Dusty

Yeah,
I thought I might be making a trip to the bay in the next month or so,
and was planning on dragging my girlfriend with me to the East Bay to
check out there store. The trip fell through for the time being, which
all in all is fine it's much easier for me to control myself online.

In the store...

Andrew

Hax Planx

Ba r r y says...

FWIW, 14 year olds running PayPal phishing scams have GREAT looking
sites. G

The subject vendor has done right by me.

Barry

That's a dead serious topic. I got suckered into giving information to
a fake escrow service. The web site was very slick. I just thank god
that the scam became pretty obvious and that I used some basic
precautions out of habit.
arw01

Dave Miller wrote:
I had been considering Shapton stones, and found this site with a

deal
-- got a set of 1000, 5000, and 8000 Shapton Professional stones for
about $205, or about $30 less than buying separate stones from

Woodcraft
or about anyone else I could find.

I bought the same set about 2 months ago, I love them. Before was
using scary sharp, with the Shaptons the process is much faster, much
sharper, and less trouble. Not to mention I can take a stone to a
soccer practice and do a set of chisels/blade blades in a matter of
minutes while I talk with other parents or the curious little kids.

Joel was great to deal with, shipping was via fed ex ground, well
priced. I plan to buy from them again. Probably a courser shapton
next.

Alan

Tattooed and Dusty wrote:
Does anyone have experience with this online retailer? I like their
selection, but their webpage is rough enough to make me honestly
sceptical. Hate to be nervous, but slick webpages make me feel
comfortable in this world of online scams

Uh, _which_ online retailer? No URL appears in your article.

--

FF

Tattooed and Dusty

I would say it's safe to assume you haven't ordered anything from them,
the name of the discussion

Tools for Working Wood

Thanks though

Tattooed and Dusty wrote:
I would say it's safe to assume you haven't ordered anything from

them,
the name of the discussion

Tools for Working Wood

Oh, it's http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com.

Are you sure your browser is OK? In Firefox it is one of the best
commercial websites I have seen. No flash, no animations, no
music, no large images, no popups, all the pages load quickly and
navigation is simple and straightforward.

--

FF

Tattooed and Dusty

Hey all,
So I received my order today from Tools For Working Wood and can easily
say I would order from them again. The invoice even had a handwritten
note thanking me for my order.

Andrew

AAvK

Hey all,
So I received my order today from Tools For Working Wood and can easily
say I would order from them again. The invoice even had a handwritten
note thanking me for my order.

Andrew

That sounds good, I am going to order my first Norton water stones from them,
will be my first order with them. I also want the Ashley Iles American pattern
butt chisels. What did you get?

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com