news.nycap.rr.com

Default Fencing project

This summer I would like to begin the installation of a 6 1/2' to 7' privacy
fence around my property. We would like to have it made of unpainted wood.
Do any of you have suggestions on places to find fencing designs / plans?
What type of wood should we construct this out of and what kind of finish
(if any) should we apply to it to prevent premature decay? We live in the
Albany, NY region so its weather regimen will be fairly wide ranging.

Thanks.

Bruce Barnett

"news.nycap.rr.com" writes:

This summer I would like to begin the installation of a 6 1/2' to 7' privacy
fence around my property.

Curtis Lumber has a sale on wood 8' high privacy fences.

Guess who

On Sat, 07 May 2005 09:14:52 GMT, "news.nycap.rr.com"
wrote:

This summer I would like to begin the installation of a 6 1/2' to 7' privacy
fence around my property. We would like to have it made of unpainted wood.
Do any of you have suggestions on places to find fencing designs / plans?
What type of wood should we construct this out of and what kind of finish
(if any) should we apply to it to prevent premature decay? We live in the
Albany, NY region so its weather regimen will be fairly wide ranging.

Place: Lumber yard
Material: Cedar
Finish: Lots of options. Ask there for what is available that you
don't have to redo often. You'll get what you pay for, so don't go
cheap. Or go really cheap ...some settle for cedar aging naturally to
a gray [grey?] color [colour?].

Length!! Make sure you have enough to set firmly into the ground.
Deep to avoid frost heave. Gravel base if not setting on cement
pylons ...then the posts can be shorter than the above requirement. I
don't know that you'll get your length if you don't set on pylons.
Aks at your local lumber supply.

Mike

wrote:

This summer I would like to begin the installation of a 6 1/2' to 7' privacy
fence around my property. We would like to have it made of unpainted wood.
Do any of you have suggestions on places to find fencing designs / plans?
What type of wood should we construct this out of and what kind of finish

I prefer cedar for privacy fencing but we see a lot of treated yellow
pine too. A couple of companies here are using galvanized metal posts
instead of wood. Most of the fences put up around here never get
finished with anything.
Be sure to check with your local governing body to make sure about the
any height limitations. Here, residential fencing is limited to 6'.

Mike O.