Joe

Default NYWS #1206 Computer desk top question,

Norms desk top calls for several boards to be biscuited and glued together.
I was thinking about using 3/4" Oak plywood
instead, and gluing 1" thick by 2" wide Oak breadboard edges on all 4
sides. I haven't decided if I will biscuit or tongue groove the edges. My
question is, -- would 3/4" Oak plywood be adequate for a desktop? I'm
concerned about the thinness of the veneer. I guess I'd lightly use 200 to
250 grit sand paper with 4 or 5 coats of poly applied if I go with the
plywood. If I go with solid
Oak I would need 7 6 foot by 3/4" by 8" Oak boards which would be quite
pricey. Thanks for your suggestions.

Lee DeRaud

On Wed, 04 May 2005 01:43:35 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

Norms desk top calls for several boards to be biscuited and glued together.
I was thinking about using 3/4" Oak plywood
instead, and gluing 1" thick by 2" wide Oak breadboard edges on all 4
sides. I haven't decided if I will biscuit or tongue groove the edges. My
question is, -- would 3/4" Oak plywood be adequate for a desktop? I'm
concerned about the thinness of the veneer. I guess I'd lightly use 200 to
250 grit sand paper with 4 or 5 coats of poly applied if I go with the
plywood. If I go with solid
Oak I would need 7 6 foot by 3/4" by 8" Oak boards which would be quite
pricey. Thanks for your suggestions.

Look at it like this: if you're concerned about normal usage damaging
the veneer, is solid wood really the answer? It's a *desk*, not a
dining table. And a desk for a computer at that...not like you're
going to spend a lot of time writing on it. "Plan B" should probably
be some kind of laminate if wear is really an issue.

And FWIW (and IMHO, based on a *lot* of years sitting in front of
one), Norm's desk looks like it was designed by someone who's never
actually used a computer. (Why yes, that *is* a pet peeve of mine.)

Lee
Patriarch

"Joe" wrote in news:bNVde.45277$r53.11527@attbi_s21:

Norms desk top calls for several boards to be biscuited and glued
together. I was thinking about using 3/4" Oak plywood
instead, and gluing 1" thick by 2" wide Oak breadboard edges on all
4 sides. I haven't decided if I will biscuit or tongue groove the
edges. My question is, -- would 3/4" Oak plywood be adequate for a
desktop? I'm concerned about the thinness of the veneer. I guess I'd
lightly use 200 to 250 grit sand paper with 4 or 5 coats of poly
applied if I go with the plywood. If I go with solid
Oak I would need 7 6 foot by 3/4" by 8" Oak boards which would be
quite pricey. Thanks for your suggestions.

A desk likely to see heavy use should have a desk pad, or a sheet of glass,
over the wood. My dad's desk has had the same sheet of glass for 45 years
or so now.

Patriarch

Shop computer question PrecisionMachinisT Metalworking 32 July 5th 04 04:38 AM
Desk Top suggestion Riley Woodworking 6 March 8th 04 10:30 PM
OT - computer network question... AL A. Metalworking 6 March 3rd 04 01:12 AM
Where can I find info on desk design? Blue Woodworking 8 November 28th 03 04:54 PM
Homemade computer desk (finished this time!) BigWallop UK diy 4 July 6th 03 03:37 AM