choo

Default DVD rack vs electricity

Hi, my mains is in a box in my living room (U.K.) and I was thinking of
making a dvd rack which would sit on top of this box to utilise the wasted
space above it. The DVDs would be about 14 inches above the mains and I was
wondering if the electric field would have any affect on the DVDs in the
short/long term.

Thx for any replies,

patrick

JeffB

Absolutely no effect. DVDs utilize reflected light, not magnetism. The
prewritten ones are not damaged by electromagnetic fields - well, keep them
outside of a microwave oven. The user written ones can be damaged by sunlight or
high temperature - but not your electric mains.

JeffB

--
JeffB
remove no.spam. to email

choo

Thx, you have made SWMBO very happy, she keeps complaining that I have DVDs
all over the house.

Patrick

Richard Clements

and DVD or CD that you put in the sun will go blank, not just CD-Rs

choo wrote:

Hi, my mains is in a box in my living room (U.K.) and I was thinking of
making a dvd rack which would sit on top of this box to utilise the
wasted space above it. The DVDs would be about 14 inches above the mains
and I was wondering if the electric field would have any affect on the
DVDs in the short/long term.

Thx for any replies,

patrick

--
if corn oil is made from corn, and olive oil is made from olives, where dose
baby oil come from?
JeffB

From NIST Special Publication 500-252 on CD/DVD media - published October 2003:

Effects of exposure to sunlight on prerecorded (ROM) CDs/DVDs:
"Light effects on ROM discs, therefore, are considered negligible."

Moisture or humidity, and physical damage are the agents of degradation for
prerecorded CDs/DVDs.

JeffB