Junior Member

Default Which Miter Saw?

I am a new home owner and I need a miter saw and am unsure which manufacture I should buy. I am committed to getting a 10" because price is an issue but other than that.... Depot has Delta, Porter Cable, Dewalt, Ryobi and Rigid 10" Compound Miters for about 200usd. Not relay interested in Craftsman from past exp.
I guess I am wondering who make a more accurate and reliable saw? I have some Ryobi sanders and circ. saw and am unimpressed with the quality but that is about the only experience I have with power tools in the pas decade. Did I miss any manufactures?
Thanks,
David
Patriarch

dbird wrote in
:

I am a new home owner and I need a miter saw and am unsure which
manufacture I should buy. I am committed to getting a 10" because
price is an issue but other than that.... Depot has Delta, Porter
Cable, Dewalt, Ryobi and Rigid 10" Compound Miters for about 200usd.
Not relay interested in Craftsman from past exp.
I guess I am wondering who make a more accurate and reliable saw? I
have some Ryobi sanders and circ. saw and am unimpressed with the
quality but that is about the only experience I have with power tools
in the pas decade. Did I miss any manufactures?
Thanks,
David

The interesting thing is that, with mergers and consolidation, there are
only two top level corporations represented there.

The Ridgid looks good, from the cursory examination I've given it, and the
abuse that the 12" version has taken on my nephew's house rebuild.

My 12" DeWalt CMS has been worth every bit of the $299 I spent on it. The
80T finish blade was a good upgrade as well.

Rumours were, at one time, that the inexpensive Delta had problems. I have
no personal experience with those, however.

Patriarch,
whose _favorite_ miter saws came from Maine...
Lew Hodgett

dbird wrote:

I am a new home owner and I need a miter saw and am unsure which
manufacture I should buy. I am committed to getting a 10" because
price is an issue but other than that.... Depot has Delta, Porter
Cable, Dewalt, Ryobi and Rigid 10" Compound Miters for about 200usd.
Not relay interested in Craftsman from past exp.
I guess I am wondering who make a more accurate and reliable saw?

snip

Might want to throw Hitachi into the mix.

Had a very good reputation when made in Japan, but alas, those days are
gone.

Lew

I picked up a DW708 (dual bevel, 12") refurb for $209 at a WW show.

Now when I get out the engineers square, I'm not impressed with the
fence to base squareness. And when I hold a dial indicator to the
blade I'm not impressed with the runout.

That said.. it's been rated at or near the top, and comments here
support that.

On Mon, 2 May 2005 21:59:03 +0100, dbird
wrote:

I am a new home owner and I need a miter saw and am unsure which
manufacture I should buy. I am committed to getting a 10" because
price is an issue but other than that.... Depot has Delta, Porter
Cable, Dewalt, Ryobi and Rigid 10" Compound Miters for about 200usd.
Not relay interested in Craftsman from past exp.
I guess I am wondering who make a more accurate and reliable saw? I
have some Ryobi sanders and circ. saw and am unimpressed with the
quality but that is about the only experience I have with power tools
in the pas decade. Did I miss any manufactures?
Thanks,
David

Salmo

I used a Makita 10" slide compound saw for a year (believe it or not, my
neighbor loaned it to me until he needed it!) and can honestly say that
having used a "normal" Delta for a few years this was like comparing coal to
gold. The Makita was a dream to use.

My euphoria came to an end when he moved and, much to my dismay, wanted his
saw back (had to happen sooner or later). So, I had to get my own and
decided to go one step further by getting the Makita 12" slide compound
miter saw. That was six months ago and I haven't regretted the decision for
a second. Not only that, but both Makitas were far easier to lift around
than the Delta (a real work-horse, but certainly limited compared to the
sliding compound saws).

Anything I've ever owned by Makita, Delta, and Porter Cable has been
satisfactory, with Makita at the top.

Keith P