Bill Stock

Default Short Piano hinges?

Can you cut Piano hinges to length? I was looking for an 18" one in the
Orange box, but the shortest they had was 24". I'm not too sure if they'll
fall apart if you shorten them?

TIA

Dave Balderstone

In article , Bill Stock
wrote:

Can you cut Piano hinges to length? I was looking for an 18" one in the
Orange box, but the shortest they had was 24". I'm not too sure if they'll
fall apart if you shorten them?

Cut away. They'll be fine.

--
One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

George

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Can you cut Piano hinges to length? I was looking for an 18" one in the
Orange box, but the shortest they had was 24". I'm not too sure if they'll
fall apart if you shorten them?

TIA

You peen the trimmed end after cutting. I like the little Dremel cutoff
disks.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Bill Stock" wrote:

Can you cut Piano hinges to length? I was looking for an 18" one in the
Orange box, but the shortest they had was 24". I'm not too sure if they'll
fall apart if you shorten them?

TIA

I used to buy piano hinges on a roll (they're open at 180-degrees) and
cut them as I needed them. I used tin-snips.

Lee Michaels

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Can you cut Piano hinges to length? I was looking for an 18" one in the
Orange box, but the shortest they had was 24". I'm not too sure if they'll
fall apart if you shorten them?

The piano hinges I have seen are made to be cut to length. The only
potential problem is the pin falling out. A little light tapping on the end
with a small hammer should take care of that.

Jim K

You can cut them with no problem. I usually close the hinge and trap a
thin piece of wood between the leaves of the hinge when I clamp it in
a vice with padded jaws. I also use some masking tape to hold the wood
in and protect the hinge metal from being scratched. Use a metal file
to smooth off the edges when done. While I've never had one come
apart, you could lightly tap one hinge loop with a center punch or use
a drop of super glue to keep the pin from moving.

If you glue or peen both ends, make sure the ends are on the same
hinge leaf. If you tighten both sides of the hinge, it may not work.