Hax Planx

Default Disc sander recommendations

I'd like to get a sander for some rough and ready operations like
shortening tenons, leveling table legs, crude roundovers, etc. Grizzly
has a 12" disc sander that I can get delivered for $135 and I saw a
Delta at Rockler for $170. I've also heard of there being an attachment
for a table saw, but I've never seen one. I suppose a belt sander would
be nice too, but I have serious doubts about how much I would really use
it. Any opinions, experience or idle conjecture appreciated.
Lew Hodgett

Hax Planx wrote:
I'd like to get a sander for some rough and ready operations like
shortening tenons, leveling table legs, crude roundovers, etc. Grizzly
has a 12" disc sander that I can get delivered for $135 and I saw a
Delta at Rockler for $170. I've also heard of there being an attachment
for a table saw, but I've never seen one. I suppose a belt sander would
be nice too, but I have serious doubts about how much I would really use
it. Any opinions, experience or idle conjecture appreciated.

I had a spare motor and some plywood, so built a 12" disk sander as
shown in Fred Bingham's book, "Practical Yacht Joinery".

If you had to buy a motor, switch, plywood, disc plate, etc to make one,
$150 for an off the shelf unit starts looking pretty good.

As a boat builder, I'd be lost without one.

YMMV.

Have fun shopping.

Lew
George

"Hax Planx" wrote in message
.net...
I'd like to get a sander for some rough and ready operations like
shortening tenons, leveling table legs, crude roundovers, etc. Grizzly
has a 12" disc sander that I can get delivered for $135 and I saw a
Delta at Rockler for $170. I've also heard of there being an attachment
for a table saw, but I've never seen one. I suppose a belt sander would
be nice too, but I have serious doubts about how much I would really use
it. Any opinions, experience or idle conjecture appreciated.

They're as good as their table. If you have a tinny table on stamped arcs,
you've nothing but frustration for your effort. Started cheap, bought
twice, myself. Wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 12 with cast and
miter gage.

The attachment for the tablesaw is just a disc in place of your blade. PITA
for a trim here and there.

Max

"Hax Planx" wrote in message
.net...
I'd like to get a sander for some rough and ready operations like
shortening tenons, leveling table legs, crude roundovers, etc. Grizzly
has a 12" disc sander that I can get delivered for $135 and I saw a
Delta at Rockler for $170. I've also heard of there being an attachment
for a table saw, but I've never seen one. I suppose a belt sander would
be nice too, but I have serious doubts about how much I would really use
it. Any opinions, experience or idle conjecture appreciated.

I wouldn't trade my Delta SA180 for anything else I've seen. Reasonably
portable, strong, dust port.

Max D.

Hax Planx

Max says...

I wouldn't trade my Delta SA180 for anything else I've seen. Reasonably
portable, strong, dust port.

Max D.

Do you find you use the 1" belt sander much? Seems like it would be
best for detailing into corners.

Max

"Hax Planx" wrote in message
.net...
Max says...

I wouldn't trade my Delta SA180 for anything else I've seen. Reasonably
portable, strong, dust port.

Max D.

Do you find you use the 1" belt sander much? Seems like it would be
best for detailing into corners.

I do quite a bit of this style of furnitu
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/thesam.../ph//my_photos

The belt sander is *very* handy for the corners.

Max D.

Lew Hodgett

Hax Planx wrote:

Do you find you use the 1" belt sander much? Seems like it would be
best for detailing into corners.

A 1" belt sander is very handy for sharpening things like rough work
chisels, scissors, drill bits, etc; however, I like it best as a stand
alone tool, not as part of a disk sander combo.

Lew