Harry Everhart

Default Scratches and Dents out of pine

I have some pine wood that has some deep surface scratches and dents. I
would like to get them out the best I could before I stain and finish
the wood. What is the best way to get scratches and dents out of pine?
Some of the the scratches may be as deep as 1/16 of an inch.

Someone said heat from an iron and steam. Is that right?

Harry

George

David is correct, but most dents leave visible traces in the form of
compressed grain or broken fiber at the edges as well.

Wish there were a better answer.

Harry Everhart wrote:
I have some pine wood that has some deep surface scratches and dents. I
would like to get them out the best I could before I stain and finish
the wood. What is the best way to get scratches and dents out of pine?
Some of the the scratches may be as deep as 1/16 of an inch.

Someone said heat from an iron and steam. Is that right?

Harry

Phisherman

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:02:32 -0400, Harry Everhart
wrote:

I have some pine wood that has some deep surface scratches and dents. I
would like to get them out the best I could before I stain and finish
the wood. What is the best way to get scratches and dents out of pine?
Some of the the scratches may be as deep as 1/16 of an inch.

Someone said heat from an iron and steam. Is that right?

Harry

A surface planer or wide belt sander will remove scratches. Dents can
be removed by steaming the dented area. I use the tip of an old iron
and a damp rag to remove dents. Steaming won't remove scratches.

wrote:

I have some pine wood that has some deep surface scratches and

dents. I
would like to get them out the best I could before I stain and

finish
the wood. What is the best way to get scratches and dents out of

pine?
Some of the the scratches may be as deep as 1/16 of an inch.

Someone said heat from an iron and steam. Is that right?

Yes, though I have had good luck just sponging water on the dent
and waiting for it to swell up on its own.

A surface planer or wide belt sander will remove scratches. Dents

can
be removed by steaming the dented area. I use the tip of an old iron
and a damp rag to remove dents. Steaming won't remove scratches.

True however in soft wood most scratches are a combination of torn
wood and compressed wood. Wetting the scratches and letting the
compressed wood swell back will minimize how much of the surface
must be removed.

Depending on species and the individual piece pine can have a pretty
'busy' figure so that repairs like that are minimally noticeable.
Eastern Aromatic Red Cedar is especially good in that regard.

--

FF

Lenny

wrote:

I have some pine wood that has some deep surface scratches and dents. I
would like to get them out the best I could before I stain and finish
the wood. What is the best way to get scratches and dents out of pine?
Some of the the scratches may be as deep as 1/16 of an inch.

Someone said heat from an iron and steam. Is that right?

Harry

I once spent the better part of an afternoon sanding a project with
progressively finer grits to obtain a perfect surface for finishing.
When the project was delivered to the friend who was doing her own
finishing, she proceeded to bang it up with chains and bent nails to
make it looked "antiqued". Just a thought, (I have thoughts all the
time ... just seldom have good ones)

Lenny