George

David is correct, but most dents leave visible traces in the form of
compressed grain or broken fiber at the edges as well.

Wish there were a better answer.

"David" wrote in message
Many dents can be removed by steaming, but scratches won't come out
without leveling the surface (planing, sanding, or filling).

Dave

Harry Everhart wrote:
I have some pine wood that has some deep surface scratches and dents. I
would like to get them out the best I could before I stain and finish
the wood. What is the best way to get scratches and dents out of pine?
Some of the the scratches may be as deep as 1/16 of an inch.

Someone said heat from an iron and steam. Is that right?

Harry