habbi

Default planer ?

I am looking to buy a planer. I don't want a bottom quality unit nor an
expensive professional unit. I noticed the rigid model at home depot has
what they call a "super fine" finish and it cuts at 66 CPI. The dewalt 12.5"
list it's as having one of the finest fishes available in a portable planer
and it cuts at 96 CPI and then there is the dewalt 13" dual feed speed which
has 96 and 176 CPI. The delta 2 speed has 60 or 90. Anyone know what the
Ryobi model (Metabo & King are identical) is rated at? It is not listed on
there website. I want something that will produce a finish that will not
need a lot of sanding afterwards. Is the dewalt the best in this price
range. Thanks for any opinions.

A friend of mine just bought the DeWalt last month. We put it through
its paces and IMHO, that is one fine machine. The 176 speed produces a
board like glass. The thing that impressed me the most (besides the
planed finish) is the blade mechanism. DeWalt offers an automatic
blade replacement procedure that doesn't require any measuring or
adjusting, its magic. And the blades are something like $50. If
you've ever bent over a planer of jointer for hours adjusting blades...
you'll appreciate DeWalt's solution. Slick!
_________________
Tom
www.LogFurnitureDirectory.com/

A directory of log and rustic furniture manufacturers, companies,
craftsman and retailers in the United States and Canada. The most
complete log and rustic furniture directory online (or off).

CW

I have a Delta. No adjusting there either.
wrote in message
ups.com...
DeWalt offers an automatic
blade replacement procedure that doesn't require any measuring or
adjusting, its magic.

Edwin Pawlowski

link.net...
wrote in message
ups.com...
DeWalt offers an automatic
blade replacement procedure that doesn't require any measuring or
adjusting, its magic.

I think these are two of the best machines for home use. Either one should
make you happy.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Steve

I've had a DeWalt 735 for about 10 months--bought it at Lowes for about
$480 (the price has gone up to $500 since). I've been using the 176CPI
setting exclusively, and it does indeed produce a "board with surface
like glass." Even heavily figured flame or quilt maple comes thru
without tear-out. Excellent machine, would recommend it to anyone.

--Steve

habbi wrote:

I am looking to buy a planer. I don't want a bottom quality unit nor an
expensive professional unit. I noticed the rigid model at home depot has
what they call a "super fine" finish and it cuts at 66 CPI. The dewalt 12.5"
list it's as having one of the finest fishes available in a portable planer
and it cuts at 96 CPI and then there is the dewalt 13" dual feed speed which
has 96 and 176 CPI. The delta 2 speed has 60 or 90. Anyone know what the
Ryobi model (Metabo & King are identical) is rated at? It is not listed on
there website. I want something that will produce a finish that will not
need a lot of sanding afterwards. Is the dewalt the best in this price
range. Thanks for any opinions.

Profit From Wood.com

Not my first choice (needed a new planer in a hurry) but I have the Delta 2
speed and it performs as expected and has some good features.

Sanding is a must, even at the finish speed.

Hope that helps!

Ed

JOINTING WITH A PLANER J T Woodworking 4 January 3rd 05 11:54 PM
Delta planer wont feed Mark Woodworking 6 December 30th 04 06:52 PM
DIY planer blade sharpening revisitied:-) Lyndell Thompson Woodworking 0 March 25th 04 03:15 AM
Wide Planer, or Compact Planer + Wide Sander? Nate B Woodworking 5 January 21st 04 08:19 PM
DeWalt 735 planer review. BRFordJr Woodworking 11 December 16th 03 03:44 PM