Jason Quick

Default Mystery Dumpster Wood

So I picked up some pallet pickings over the past few weeks, and was planing
them down in the garage today.

Got some niiice mahogany 12/4 squares (minor gloatage), a bit more mahogany
in 1x2, some oak (mostly red, a little white), a buncha poplar (big surprise
there), and...this other board. Just one board, actually.

It started out with a pumpkin-orange color w/ a very faint green undertone,
which changed to a reddish-pinkish-whitish color after planing. Lots of
wavy grain, and it smells like a freshly cut cucumber or maybe watermelon
rind. With the way it looks, I'd say cherry, probably, but the smell threw
me. Any guesses?

Jason

Jason Quick wrote:
So I picked up some pallet pickings over the past few weeks, and was

planing
them down in the garage today.

It started out with a pumpkin-orange color w/ a very faint green

undertone,
which changed to a reddish-pinkish-whitish color after planing. Lots

of
wavy grain, and it smells like a freshly cut cucumber or maybe

watermelon
rind. With the way it looks, I'd say cherry, probably, but the smell

threw
me. Any guesses?

I'd guess that the pallet was used to ship cucumbers or watermellons
and sat out in the sun a bit too long.

--

FF