JGS

Default Profile Problem

I needed some bar arm rail of a bar that I am making and saw a profile
similar to the one shown below at a custom shop.

http://www.centralfairbank.com/catalog.php?cid=12

I asked the sales person if they could make mine ( two 12' pieces)
with only the "bird's mouth" notch and not the smaller one. The answer
was all or nothing. So I said, or so I thought, said in that case I will
take mine with both. Well they showed up with none. So, I am looking for
ideas on how to make the bigger 1" x 3/4" notch.
The point of the notch is not at 90* to the bottom so a 45* router bit
will not necessarily do the job. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,
JG

Mike

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:16:42 -0400, JGS
wrote:

take mine with both. Well they showed up with none. So, I am looking for
ideas on how to make the bigger 1" x 3/4" notch.
The point of the notch is not at 90* to the bottom so a 45* router bit
will not necessarily do the job. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,

Could you cut it on a table saw with two passes?
You might be able to make one cut, turn the piece around and make the
other cut. You may have to move the fence on the other side of the
blade to make one cut. If the blade won't tilt enough you might be
able to screw a taller board to your fence and make that cut with the
molding standing on edge.

Mike O.
woodworker88

Dado blade tilted at correct angle?

JGS

Thanks guys. However, my dado stack will not tilt anywhere close to that
much. As to two cuts, one of them would have to be on the rounded end,
tricky and the fact that each piece is about 12' of 5 X 3" oak they are
quite heavy. If I move the fence after each cut and make progressively
shallower cuts it might work. Cheers, JG