Dan White

Default Using 0000 steel on poly

I'm using 0000 steel wool on poly to knock down the occasional dry bubble.
I was going to buff up with car wax after doing that and read that some
apply the wax with the steel wool. Is there any advantage to this? Also,
can you wet "sand" with the 0000. I tried it a little and it seemed to work
OK.

thanks,
dwhite

Patrick Fischer

Water based poly? Stay away from the steel wool as the fine particles left
behind will begin to rust.
I've never found an advantage to waxing with the abrasive. Sand as fine a
you need and wax with a clean dry lint-free cloth....
IMHO

Pat..

--
Patrick Fischer
Olalla, WA

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion"
--David Brinkley
"Dan White" wrote in message
I'm using 0000 steel wool on poly to knock down the occasional dry bubble.
I was going to buff up with car wax after doing that and read that some
apply the wax with the steel wool. Is there any advantage to this? Also,
can you wet "sand" with the 0000. I tried it a little and it seemed to
work
OK.

thanks,
dwhite

woodworker88

I just sand to 320 grit with one of the 3M sandblaster foam pads, then
wax with a cloth. The foam prevents from highlighting irregularities.

C & S

"Dan White" wrote in message
I'm using 0000 steel wool on poly to knock down the occasional dry bubble.
I was going to buff up with car wax after doing that and read that some
apply the wax with the steel wool. Is there any advantage to this? Also,
can you wet "sand" with the 0000. I tried it a little and it seemed to

work
OK.

I have, but not car wax. I use paste wax (on silicone). It is sort-of
wetsanding; the wax lubricates the wool. After the final coat of poly, I
find that its effective at removing any dust nibs that got into the final
coat and reduces the level of sheen from gloss to a satin. IMHO it leaves
the finish feeling much more touchable. Of you want to keep a glossy look,
itprobably not the right technique for you.

Practice on scrap.

-Steve

Dan White

"Patrick Fischer" wrote in message
Water based poly? Stay away from the steel wool as the fine particles left
behind will begin to rust.
I've never found an advantage to waxing with the abrasive. Sand as fine a
you need and wax with a clean dry lint-free cloth....
IMHO

Pat..

It is SW oil based poly. Hadn't considered the rust thing. Interesting.

dwhite

--

"Dan White" wrote in message
I'm using 0000 steel wool on poly to knock down the occasional dry

bubble.
I was going to buff up with car wax after doing that and read that some
apply the wax with the steel wool. Is there any advantage to this?

Also,
can you wet "sand" with the 0000. I tried it a little and it seemed to
work
OK.

thanks,
dwhite

WillR

Dan White wrote:

It is SW oil based poly. Hadn't considered the rust thing. Interesting.

Then like other people I use the finest steel wool I have -- then a coat
of Johnsons paste wax and a bit of buffing . Works for me. ymmv

I detest the water based -- too much fuss. Aside from the issue with the
steel wool, it leaves way too many bubbles -- even when we take great
care. The speed of application can be way too slow as usually we use
poly on projects we want to finish in a hurry. I would rather use our
organic filter breathing mask and use wipe-on oil based poly. It dries
fast and takes very little extra work with the steel wool and the wax.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Leon

"Dan White" wrote in message
I'm using 0000 steel wool on poly to knock down the occasional dry bubble.
I was going to buff up with car wax after doing that and read that some
apply the wax with the steel wool. Is there any advantage to this? Also,
can you wet "sand" with the 0000. I tried it a little and it seemed to
work
OK.

The advantage is like killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Applying with steel
wool eliminates the need to apply with a cloth after steel wooling. Kinda
like applying car wax to a car before drying it off after washing.