Bill Daly

Default help - retain natural whiteness

I have made a few small items (boxes, frames & easels) lately from blue-gum.
It has a great marbling effect - white wood with reddish swirls and stripes.
Normally I prefer to oil and polish such things with linseeds or tung. This
is great for darker woods as it brings out the colour. The problem of
course with whiter wood is the yellowing effect that oil and even waxes
impart.

Question, does anyone out there have a magic solution? Basically, what I am
trying to achieve is a degree of gloss for protection and at the same time
retain the unfinished colour. Is this possible.

no(SPAM)vasys

Bill Daly wrote:

I have made a few small items (boxes, frames & easels) lately from blue-gum.
It has a great marbling effect - white wood with reddish swirls and stripes.
Normally I prefer to oil and polish such things with linseeds or tung. This
is great for darker woods as it brings out the colour. The problem of
course with whiter wood is the yellowing effect that oil and even waxes
impart.

Question, does anyone out there have a magic solution? Basically, what I am
trying to achieve is a degree of gloss for protection and at the same time
retain the unfinished colour. Is this possible.

My choice would be a water based acrylic finish such as Fuhr #290. See:

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/ht...hrfinishes.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
SonomaProducts.com

Check the finish sold by McFeely's. They have a water based Lacquers,
the CrystalLac 2001 version claims to be water white. The 2000 claims
to have the tint of typical nitrocellulose. In fact, I think they sall
a tint to make the 2001 look like typical Lacquer.

Let us know how it works if you use it. Its a bit expensive for my
tastest but I may end up going with something like it soon myself.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?subcat=5.5.6
BW

Brent Beal

Keep them out of direct and ambient sun light. Also, might try a uv
protectant finish. I've seen box elder and magnolia (both have reddish
streaks) fade out in the sun.

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations....

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:33:17 +1200, "Bill Daly"
wrote:

I have made a few small items (boxes, frames & easels) lately from blue-gum.
It has a great marbling effect - white wood with reddish swirls and stripes.

Sounds like a very interesting wood, and very colorful.

Normally I prefer to oil and polish such things with linseeds or tung. This
is great for darker woods as it brings out the colour. The problem of
course with whiter wood is the yellowing effect that oil and even waxes
impart.

Question, does anyone out there have a magic solution? Basically, what I am
trying to achieve is a degree of gloss for protection and at the same time
retain the unfinished colour. Is this possible.

Hum...That can be a problem with many finishes. I would
suggest looking at either a water-based or nitrocellulose lacquer.
Either one will be quite clear and non-yellowing. I, personally,
prefer the more classical lacquer, but, the new, waterbased
finishes are not bad.
Regards
Dave Mundt