toller

Default Single fluted straight router bits?

I bought a lot of new router bits. Included were 3 Amana straight single
flute bits.

I've never seen a single flute before. Is there some purpose to it, other
than cost reduction?

Duane Bozarth

toller wrote:

I bought a lot of new router bits. Included were 3 Amana straight single
flute bits.

I've never seen a single flute before. Is there some purpose to it, other
than cost reduction?

Often used in automated systems where speed of cut is more important
than finish.
Robatoy

In article ,
"toller" wrote:

I bought a lot of new router bits. Included were 3 Amana straight single
flute bits.

I've never seen a single flute before. Is there some purpose to it, other
than cost reduction?

In solid surface fabrication, it's the bit of choice for doing cook-top
and sink cut-outs. The single flute throws the waste away nice and quick
without heat build-up. Duane is right; the finish isn't great.
woodworker88

The single flute bits are invaluable for deep cuts where clogging is an
issue. Also useful in resinous woods because very little cutting
surface touches the material. Similarly, poor performance in hardwoods
because the cutter is so small. Another issue is that if the cutter
becomes damaged, it will show because there will be nothing to even out
the problem.

toller

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"toller" wrote:

I bought a lot of new router bits. Included were 3 Amana straight single
flute bits.

I've never seen a single flute before. Is there some purpose to it,
other
than cost reduction?

In solid surface fabrication, it's the bit of choice for doing cook-top
and sink cut-outs. The single flute throws the waste away nice and quick
without heat build-up. Duane is right; the finish isn't great.

Well that makes sense; I got them the same place I bought corian scraps. So
now I have some bits to work the corian!

woodworker88

Just curious, were these in with the bosch ones you are selling?

toller

"woodworker88" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just curious, were these in with the bosch ones you are selling?

Yup, got 3 extra if you are interested. I will save one for my new corian
router table.