Tina

Default Stanley #80 Cabinet Scraper Help

I got a nice used Stanley #80 cabinet scraper from ebay and need to find a
replacement scraper for it...if they even make them...anyone have any clues
where to find one of these cool steel replacement iron or whatever there
made of??? Thanks in advance...

Tina

woodworker88

I think Woodcraft sells the replacements as well as the new scrapers.
You can also get the steel from any company that sells sheet metal. My
guess is that it is regular cold rolled sheet steel, but it might be
something weird like spring steel. All you need is a rectangle the
right size. I'm assuming that you know how to put the burr on the
scraper; if you don't it isn't hard to learn how to do, just look in
any good woodworking book.
P.S Depending on the tolerances involved, you will either need to make
an educated guess on the thickness of the metal, or find someone who
has an iron and measure it with a micrometer.

It is worth getting a good one, it will take a lifetime to wear it out.

http://www.hocktools.com/products.htm#SB

alexy

"Tina" wrote:

I got a nice used Stanley #80 cabinet scraper from ebay and need to find a
replacement scraper for it...if they even make them...anyone have any clues
where to find one of these cool steel replacement iron or whatever there
made of??? Thanks in advance...

Tina

Flea market saw. Cut to size and put 45-degree bevels on the long
sides. Just measured mine: 2-7/16x2-13/16. Height (the smaller
dimension) doesn't matter much--tall enough to be held in and short
enough to not be in the way. Want the long dimension about as long as
will fit between the screws on the retaining bar. Save the saw steel
to make hand-held scrapers of whatever shape you need.
Tina

wrote in message
oups.com...
It is worth getting a good one, it will take a lifetime to wear it out.

http://www.hocktools.com/products.htm#SB

This is the company I couldn't remember the name of...thanks...I bought a
set of Kunz (sp) years ago and use them but recently bought the stanley #80
and the metal is old and pitted so I wanted to get a new scraper metal for
this tool...thanks to all that replied

Tina

Glen

It is worth getting a good one, it will take a lifetime to wear it out.

http://www.hocktools.com/products.htm#SB

I also picked up the #80 at a yard sale, sans blade. I got the Hock and
it is incredible. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Glen
Tina

"Glen" wrote in message
ink.net...
wrote:
It is worth getting a good one, it will take a lifetime to wear it out.

http://www.hocktools.com/products.htm#SB

I also picked up the #80 at a yard sale, sans blade. I got the Hock and
it is incredible. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Glen

Thanks Glen....will do..can't wait to get it now...........;-)
Tina