Leuf

Default The frankenbench is alive!

Well almost. Still needs some work, and a vise, but I'll have to save
my pennies for a while before that happens. It has a little bit of
everything...

Oak, 2x4, MDF, melamine, poplar, pine, and... cardboard.
Dovetails, M&T, and ... duct tape

http://home.metrocast.net/~rayturgeon/bench.html

I went without the ledges on the dog holes. If I end up wishing they
were there, well it's not going to be much harder to chisel them out
later over doing it before assembly. The holes are 3.5" on center
from the outer edge to align with a 7" face vise.

The oak section isn't as solid as it needs to be yet. Right now it's
only held on by 4 #14 screws and I think that's the problem. Do you
think lag screws will be enough, or am I going to need through bolts?
I'd obviously prefer not to. I couldn't have any connection between
the oak and the rest of the top because I wanted to be able to shim it
up when it gets resurfaced, so all the fastening is down into the
2x4s.

I'm considering adding another post or diagonal brace at the right
corner towards the front to give me something more solid to pound on
at that end. I've got one leftover 2x4 to play with.

-Leuf
Lobby Dosser

Leuf wrote:

Well almost. Still needs some work, and a vise, but I'll have to save
my pennies for a while before that happens. It has a little bit of
everything...

Oak, 2x4, MDF, melamine, poplar, pine, and... cardboard.
Dovetails, M&T, and ... duct tape

http://home.metrocast.net/~rayturgeon/bench.html

I really like the way you did the web page. The photos stand out and the
text is informative, but succinct.

The bench is ... unique. There are some good ideas there.
Leuf

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 07:52:04 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Leuf wrote:

http://home.metrocast.net/~rayturgeon/bench.html

I really like the way you did the web page. The photos stand out and the
text is informative, but succinct.

Thanks! Doesn't need to be dressed up to get the job done, kind of
like a workbench

The bench is ... unique. There are some good ideas there.

Yeah. I tend to think there's not much you can do on a bench that
hasn't been done before, but I haven't seen a top out of multiple
materials like that before. I am sure someone's done it though.
We'll see how it works out. It seems to have provided everything I
thought I wanted, now I get to find out if I was right If it's as
clean as it is in those pics in three months I'll consider it a
horrible failure.

-Leuf
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

Leuf wrote:

http://home.metrocast.net/~rayturgeon/bench.html

I really like the way you did the web page. The photos stand out and
the text is informative, but succinct.

Thanks! Doesn't need to be dressed up to get the job done, kind of
like a workbench

The bench is ... unique. There are some good ideas there.

Yeah. I tend to think there's not much you can do on a bench that
hasn't been done before, but I haven't seen a top out of multiple
materials like that before. I am sure someone's done it though.
We'll see how it works out. It seems to have provided everything I
thought I wanted, now I get to find out if I was right If it's as
clean as it is in those pics in three months I'll consider it a
horrible failure.

You can add some pics then. This lot must have been taken in purpose
cleaned corner of your shop. Looks way too clean. )

-Leuf

Leuf

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 06:33:47 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

You can add some pics then. This lot must have been taken in purpose
cleaned corner of your shop. Looks way too clean. )

We just moved in january so the shop is still clean and organized.
It's intolerable. The new bench should improve my efficiency in
messing it up dramatically.

-Leuf