Chris Freiberger

Default Oil Furnace air supply

I have my shop set up in the basement and am having problems with sawdust
clogging up the fresh air intake of my oil furnace. I use a shopvac for
collecting sawdust to the table saw and band saw, and have a homemade air
filter as well.

Has anyone made some sort of filter for the air intake on the furnace
burner, or is this something that can be purchased?

jds

Chris,

I've got an oil fired hot water boiler as a furnace and had my local dealer
installed a boot and ductwork to bring the intake air in from the outside.
Also insulated this ductwork since it's right over my Unisaw. Has worked
well for over 2 years now. The boot is commercially made for the burner.
Previous to this all the dust was causing havoc with my boiler even with a
dust collection system.

"Chris Freiberger" wrote in message
I have my shop set up in the basement and am having problems with sawdust
clogging up the fresh air intake of my oil furnace. I use a shopvac for
collecting sawdust to the table saw and band saw, and have a homemade air
filter as well.

Has anyone made some sort of filter for the air intake on the furnace
burner, or is this something that can be purchased?

George E. Cawthon

jds wrote:
Chris,

I've got an oil fired hot water boiler as a furnace and had my local dealer
installed a boot and ductwork to bring the intake air in from the outside.
Also insulated this ductwork since it's right over my Unisaw. Has worked
well for over 2 years now. The boot is commercially made for the burner.
Previous to this all the dust was causing havoc with my boiler even with a
dust collection system.

"Chris Freiberger" wrote in message

I have my shop set up in the basement and am having problems with sawdust
clogging up the fresh air intake of my oil furnace. I use a shopvac for
collecting sawdust to the table saw and band saw, and have a homemade air
filter as well.

Has anyone made some sort of filter for the air intake on the furnace
burner, or is this something that can be purchased?

My thought exactly, you beat me to it. If you
need to do something about the air supply, it
doesn't make sense to clean up interior air for
the burner and second, it makes even less sense to
use interior (heated) air. The only reason
furnaces often/usually use interior air is that
the duct work is a problem--cost and appearance.
Look at this as just an opportunity to convert
to using outside air and increase the efficiency
of the heating system.