noreply

Default maple

Looking for suggestions to finish some (curly/birds eye/burl) mixed in a
butcher block format.

Application is as a sewing table top. Looking at a Spar type varnish as a
final layer but wondering what would bring out the character without
covering it up on the wood.

Also have a food type application for some of this and wondering if anyone
has used walnut oil on maple?

Thanks!
David

Spar varnish should not be used. It "gives", which is why it is a
preferred finish for outdoor projects. It isn't as durable as needs be
for a table top. CV or poly would be better for durability.

Dave

noreply wrote:
Looking for suggestions to finish some (curly/birds eye/burl) mixed in a
butcher block format.

Application is as a sewing table top. Looking at a Spar type varnish as a
final layer but wondering what would bring out the character without
covering it up on the wood.

Also have a food type application for some of this and wondering if anyone
has used walnut oil on maple?

Thanks!

noreply

David wrote in
:

noreply wrote:
Looking for suggestions to finish some (curly/birds eye/burl) mixed
in a butcher block format.

Application is as a sewing table top. Looking at a Spar type varnish
as a final layer but wondering what would bring out the character
without covering it up on the wood.

Also have a food type application for some of this and wondering if
anyone has used walnut oil on maple?

Thanks!

Thanks, again! Any thoughts on oil/stain for said wood?

... suggestions to finish some (curly/birds eye/burl) mixed in a
butcher block format.

I've had best results with TransTint Honey Amber #6001. (Disclaimer ...
no financial interest - blah, blah) I add the dye to a party filled
bottle (I usually use a half pint) of denatured alcohol until I get the
shade I want. When you get near the shade, test it on a sample and add
a few drops at a time.

Also have a food type application for some of this ....

Use mineral oil on cutting boards. I don't know about the safety of
ther dye, but maybe Homestead Finishing Products can advise you.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/

Joel Jacobson

Australopithecus scobis

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:14:19 -0700, David wrote:

Spar varnish should not be used. It "gives", which is why it is a
preferred finish for outdoor projects.

The thought of spar varnish anywhere near sewing is scary. Cloth would
stick. Pins would mash into it. OP wants hard and smooth. Others can chime
in with the details of those hard finishes; I don't have experience with
them. Lacquer, maybe, or one of those epoxy kits?

--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad {dot} scientist {dot} com

George

"noreply" wrote in message
. 44...
Looking for suggestions to finish some (curly/birds eye/burl) mixed in a
butcher block format.

Application is as a sewing table top. Looking at a Spar type varnish as a
final layer but wondering what would bring out the character without
covering it up on the wood.

Also have a food type application for some of this and wondering if anyone
has used walnut oil on maple?

I use walnut oil all the time on popcorn bowls and treen. It imparts some
color, cures slowly, but does give some water shedding capability. Mineral
oil never cures, continuing to collect whatever's available until it is
washed away, at which point the surface is clean, but looks dry, so people
apply more oil, to collect....

As others have said, long oil varnishes are not a good idea for your sewing
center. Those rock hard water-borne types are out for the opposite reason -
every bit of movement available in wood is in the top.

If you use oil-based poly, you get a bit of figure flash and a finish in the
same container.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 03:11:31 -0000, the inscrutable noreply
spake:

Looking for suggestions to finish some (curly/birds eye/burl) mixed in a
butcher block format.

Application is as a sewing table top. Looking at a Spar type varnish as a
final layer but wondering what would bring out the character without
covering it up on the wood.

Johnson's paste wax.

Also have a food type application for some of this and wondering if anyone
has used walnut oil on maple?

No experience with it here on maple, but it would probably work.

--
A lot of folks can't understand how we came
to have an oil shortage here in America.

Well, there's a very simple answer...nobody
bothered to check the oil; We just didn't
know we were getting low.

The reason for that is purely geographical
- our OIL is located in Alaska, California,
Oklahoma and Texas.

Our DIPSTICKS are located in Washington, DC.
newbie

What about a Danish Oil wouldn't that be easy and simple covered by couple
coats of wax? I've used it on some oak chairs and looked nice really
accented the grain. Super simple, seems to hold up so far anyway.

noreply wrote in
. 44:

Looking for suggestions to finish some (curly/birds eye/burl) mixed in
a butcher block format.

Application is as a sewing table top. Looking at a Spar type varnish
as a final layer but wondering what would bring out the character
without covering it up on the wood.

Also have a food type application for some of this and wondering if
anyone has used walnut oil on maple?

Thanks!

Bill

Also have a food type application for some of this and wondering if anyone
has used walnut oil on maple?

Thanks!

I recently used it on a combination cherry / maple / walnut cutting board.
Seemed to work fine. The new owner is proud of it.

Bill
Prometheus

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 03:11:31 -0000, noreply
wrote:

Looking for suggestions to finish some (curly/birds eye/burl) mixed in a
butcher block format.

Application is as a sewing table top. Looking at a Spar type varnish as a
final layer but wondering what would bring out the character without
covering it up on the wood.

Also have a food type application for some of this and wondering if anyone
has used walnut oil on maple?

I've finished a bunch of maple, and my personal favorite finish for it
is sanded to 1000 grit, a quick single coat of tung oil to help the
grain pop, and 2-3 coats of shellac. Looks shiny and warm. I believe
the shellac is non-toxic for food applications, as well.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Schroeder

For the sewing table top, you might look at Arm-R-Seal. combo Poly/oil that
is a great finish, easy app and can be reapplied without much prep.
layering works well with this stuff too.

Schroeder

"noreply" wrote in message
. 44...
Looking for suggestions to finish some (curly/birds eye/burl) mixed in a
butcher block format.

Application is as a sewing table top. Looking at a Spar type varnish as a
final layer but wondering what would bring out the character without
covering it up on the wood.

Also have a food type application for some of this and wondering if anyone
has used walnut oil on maple?

Thanks!

burning maple and where to get good deals on wood Jeff Anderson Woodworking 11 November 2nd 04 06:59 PM
how to tell hard vs. soft maple harrisrd Woodworking 10 September 21st 03 06:25 PM
mapled out Mike in Mystic Woodworking 11 August 30th 03 09:21 PM
Maple Hardwood finish - oil- or water-based Greg Home Repair 5 August 28th 03 08:04 PM
Is hard maple the hardest wood? P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 2 July 20th 03 02:40 PM