foggytown

Default Panel glueing

I have noticed that whenever Norm glues flat stock together to make
larger panels, he never uses cauls to keep the cross cut ends even.
Are there only special circumstances when cauls are used or have
biscuits replaced the need for them? Maybe he just feels that any
unevenness can just be sanded out?

FoggyTown

Dukester

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have noticed that whenever Norm glues flat stock together to make
larger panels, he never uses cauls to keep the cross cut ends even.
Are there only special circumstances when cauls are used or have
biscuits replaced the need for them? Maybe he just feels that any
unevenness can just be sanded out?

He used biscuits religiously, then got away from them for a while with
comments about them swelling or some such, but looks like he's using them
again this season, so I don't think the biscuits matter. I think he relies
heavily on the Timesaver widebelt.

--Cheers!
Duke

Jim Stuyck

"foggytown" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have noticed that whenever Norm glues flat stock together to make
larger panels, he never uses cauls to keep the cross cut ends even.
Are there only special circumstances when cauls are used or have
biscuits replaced the need for them? Maybe he just feels that any
unevenness can just be sanded out?

It's far easier to worry only about the "flatness" of the glueup and
ignore the ends. Later, after the glue dries, he (and I) cut the panels
to length. You might wind up with a tiny bit of scrap, but the
panel is then uniform in length.

Jim Stuyck

SonomaProducts.com

I glue up lots of panels. I used to use cauls and biscuits a bunch of
glue, clamp the hell out of them and let them sit 24 hrs in the clamps.
Now I typically spend more time/care getting the edges straight, use
very little glue, clamp lightly and often pop them out in less than two
hours and start working (carefully) with them. Admittadly, I have a
wide belt sander to flatten them but I excercise lots of care in
keeping them flat just by laying them on the table and using a mallet
or my fist to align the edges. Pretty rare that I have any problem.