G.E.R.R.Y.

Default Router for dados questions

I am trying to learn how to do proper dado cuts using a hand-held
plunge router or a solid table-mounted router. I want to do dado
cutouts both "stopped" and "unstopped (?)" *across*, i.e. NOT
lengthwise, a pair of six-inch wide boards which will be the upright
sides of a small cabinet for shelves to be inserted.

Is there a *commercial* jig made for cutting straight, perpendicular
dados with the hand-held plunge? I have tried making my own but I have
been largely underwhelmed by the results.

Is there perhaps a *better* method of doing this task on the
table-mounted router using either the fence or some kind of jig that I
haven't even thought of yet?

Gerry who one day hopes to be a perfectionist
Vic Baron

Life's too short to let something this simple ruin your morning.

Patriarch

Some great words to live by.

However, I submit that life is not too short - it is the longest thing you
will ever do - can you name anything longer?

Just something to ponder while making noise and sawdust.

Vic

Lew Hodgett

"G.E.R.R.Y." wrote:

I am trying to learn how to do proper dado cuts using a hand-held
plunge router or a solid table-mounted router. I want to do dado
cutouts both "stopped" and "unstopped (?)" *across*, i.e. NOT
lengthwise, a pair of six-inch wide boards which will be the upright
sides of a small cabinet for shelves to be inserted.

snip

SFWIW, I use this technique to build construction ladders for my boat
project.

Build a jig that captures the router base plate and contains a cleat to
maintain the spacing between the dado cuts.

Clamp jig on piece and have at it with a plunge router.

If I want a 1-1/2" wide dado, then use a 3/4" dia bit and make multiple
passes. Gives me better results.

Piece of cake.

In my case, I have to build a "left" and "right" hand version since the
dado cuts are made at a 10 degree angle.

HTH

Lew
George

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...
SFWIW, I use this technique to build construction ladders for my boat
project.

Build a jig that captures the router base plate and contains a cleat to
maintain the spacing between the dado cuts.

Clamp jig on piece and have at it with a plunge router.

I find it easier to capture the guide bushing. Lot of routers don't have
circular bases, and centering the plate, even the circular ones is not as
easy as the guide.

You should have caught the Router Workshop on ladders, great flippable jig.

Hax Planks

G.E.R.R.Y. says...

I am trying to learn how to do proper dado cuts using a hand-held
plunge router or a solid table-mounted router. I want to do dado
cutouts both "stopped" and "unstopped (?)" *across*, i.e. NOT
lengthwise, a pair of six-inch wide boards which will be the upright
sides of a small cabinet for shelves to be inserted.

Is there a *commercial* jig made for cutting straight, perpendicular
dados with the hand-held plunge? I have tried making my own but I have
been largely underwhelmed by the results.

Is there perhaps a *better* method of doing this task on the
table-mounted router using either the fence or some kind of jig that I
haven't even thought of yet?

Gerry who one day hopes to be a perfectionist

You might also consider using a table saw with a dado set. I haven't
seen any commercial jigs for cutting dadoes with a router, but there may
be some out there. I would think most people would just make their own,
since they aren't difficult to make and you can make a jig specific to
your project. The jig would consist of two strips of wood to guide the
router and two pieces of wood to join the guide strips. You can make
the guide wide enough to fit the whole router base in, or just wide
enough for a guide bushing. Stops could be glued between the strips
where necessary to make a stop dado.
Bruce Barnett

Hax Planks writes:

You might also consider using a table saw with a dado set. I haven't
seen any commercial jigs for cutting dadoes with a router, but there may
be some out there.

Woodhaven makes some:

http://www.woodhaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=1588
http://www.woodhaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=1854

Jason Quick

"Patriarch" wrote

Life's too short to let something this simple ruin your morning.

"People say life is short? No it ain't - life is *long*. Especially if you
make the wrong decisions."

- Chris Rock (discussing relationships, but it could apply to tools,
too)