toller

Default Jointing not quite with the grain?

I am making a large panel for a cabinet top. The front will be 30 degrees
to the back. I plan on cutting it with a circular saw, and don't expect it
to come out perfectly.

Can I run it though the jointer, even though it is not parallel to the
grain? I have about a half inch of scrap on the side; hopefully the tearout
won't exceed that.

Joey

Be sure to feed it this way. Once started keep firm pressure on outfeed
table as you go with a light cut. If this edge will be joined to
another piece later I'd be concerned about snipe more than tear out

\ \
\ \
\ \ /____
\
toller wrote:
I am making a large panel for a cabinet top. The front will be 30

degrees
to the back. I plan on cutting it with a circular saw, and don't

expect it
to come out perfectly.

Can I run it though the jointer, even though it is not parallel to

the
grain? I have about a half inch of scrap on the side; hopefully the

tearout
won't exceed that.

toller

"Joey" wrote in message
oups.com...

Be sure to feed it this way. Once started keep firm pressure on outfeed
table as you go with a light cut. If this edge will be joined to
another piece later I'd be concerned about snipe more than tear out

\ \
\ \
\ \ /____
\

You are moving the wood to the left, yes?

No, it will be a finished edge; I just don't have confidence in the circular
saw ability to cut a good edge in my curly cherry.

Doug Miller

In article , "toller" wrote:

No, it will be a finished edge; I just don't have confidence in the circular
saw ability to cut a good edge in my curly cherry.

Well, I wouldn't have much *more* confidence in the jointer, on curly cherry.
This is just crying out for a good hand plane.

--
Regards,

Joey

Yes moving left so for the lack of a better term the 'pointy' edge
exits the cutter last. If its a finished edge I would think any minor
snipe could cleaned up and unnoticable.

toller wrote:
"Joey" wrote in message
oups.com...

Be sure to feed it this way. Once started keep firm pressure on

outfeed
table as you go with a light cut. If this edge will be joined to
another piece later I'd be concerned about snipe more than tear out

\ \
\ \
\ \ /____
\

You are moving the wood to the left, yes?

No, it will be a finished edge; I just don't have confidence in the

circular
saw ability to cut a good edge in my curly cherry.

toller

"joey" wrote in message
BTW how wide is this curly cherry top

The back is 40". The right side is 28" and the left side is 9". The front
is angled. It is to go in a corner. The right side is a deep cabinet, the
left will be book shelves. Oh, 44" high.

I am only using curly cherry for the left side and the top; the rest is
plain cherry.

George

Won't worry as much about exit defects if you clamp an inch and a half of
soft scrap to the good wood. It takes the hit.

Oh yes. Small bites, rather than slow speed passes will burn cherry much
less.

oups.com...