Jim Bailey

Default Cutting laminate strips

I remember seeing somewhere, a technique for cutting strips of laminate on a
table saw. It involved some sort of aluminum molding piece that was slipped
under the edge of the fence, 'U' shaped, laying on it's side, that held the
laminate sort of captive inside it. Anyone remember seeing this ? Maybe in
a magazine ?

I saw some pictures in one of the counter top making 'how to' books, of a
wood edge around the top, with a shallow rabbitt on the face, then a strip
of the same laminate that was used on the top, in the rabbit. Really nice
effect. I was was thinking of trying this, but you'd need a really clean,
exact cut on these laminate strips, probably around 3/8 or so. It wasn't
mentioned how they cut it.

I'd even consider a special tool for it if I didn't need a bank loan to buy
it. I can't imagine something that specialized could be bought for pocket
change.

jim

Robert Allison

Jim Bailey wrote:

[...]

What you are looking for is a laminate slitter. They make
very accurate strips of laminate of varying widths (the tool
is adjustable for different widths).

Here is one such animal:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...93404?v=glance

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:14:13 GMT, "Jim Bailey"
wrote:

I remember seeing somewhere, a technique for cutting strips of laminate on a
table saw.

Make (yet another) MDF false fence that bolts to your fence. Put a
sawcut into the bottom of the face, as low as you can go without it
breaking out. Use that as a sliding guide for your laminate.

For a better version, rebate the bottom edge of the fence and fit some
suitable aluminium extrusion. Finding it's the hard part.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Jim Bailey" wrote:

I remember seeing somewhere, a technique for cutting strips of laminate on a
table saw.

The way I solved it for myself, was by using two thin-wall aluminum
angle extrusions. 1". I bought them at at the Borg. I adapted a birch
ply strip to my fence, via the t-slots.
Then I screwed one of the angles to the plywood while it was pressed
against the fence and tablesaw top.. That bottom one will stop the
laminate from trying to slip under the fence.
Then I put a 1/8" strip of hardboard on top the bottom aluminum angle
and put the second one on top the hardboard. I then screwed the both of
them , spaced 1/8' apart to the plywood fence. Presto... a channel. One
angle stops the laminate from sliding under the fence..and one to stop
the laminate from bulging away from the blade.
The end of the top one, facing the operator, was bent upward a bit.
Careful when you do that, because the stuff likes to buckle.
Next time I would hacksaw a 3" section away from the vertical part and
bend that upward.

It works great... I might make it a little tighter next time...like
1/16...and I'd line the bottom of the top-angle with some laminate to
make it scratch less. (I can see some lines on glossy black laminate
after it has gone through the fence.

Total cost... 8 bucks.
If you want to cut strips less that 1"...buy smaller angle. ( I just ran
an old blade up through the aluminum.)

0¿0

Rob
Jerry

No, what his is looking for is an aluminum accessory that fits under
the fence and has a channel facing toward the blade in which you can
guide the laminate (or other similar thin stock). I have one. Not
much to it, can't be more than $4-$6. I tried to find a ref on the
internet but ran out of time. I have seem it at Rocker, Woodcraft --
they all practically carry it.

I cut laminate all the time on the TS -- couldn't do it without this.

Robert Allison wrote:
Jim Bailey wrote:

[...]

Robert Allison

Jerry wrote:
No, what his is looking for is an aluminum accessory that fits under
the fence and has a channel facing toward the blade in which you can
guide the laminate (or other similar thin stock). I have one. Not
much to it, can't be more than $4-$6. I tried to find a ref on the
internet but ran out of time. I have seem it at Rocker, Woodcraft --
they all practically carry it.

I cut laminate all the time on the TS -- couldn't do it without this.

Well since he said that he might consider a special tool for
this, I thought I would show him a special tool. I can set up
and cut a strip 12' long of any width up to 5 inches in about
1 minute with mine. Is the table saw jig faster than that?

After all the set up for the first strip, the next ones go a
lot faster.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Robert Allison wrote:

Jim Bailey wrote:

[...]

Jerry

OK Jim,

Finally found what you were looking for. It's called a Lamitrol. Do a
goggle search on it. cost is $9.00. Works fine for me. Hope your
still checking the posts.

http://www.specialtytools.com/cgi-bi.../web_store.cgi
page=lam_tools/splt.html&cart_id=8784944_12021