Steve Knight

Default New plane design (another one) featuring Karl Holtey Brass work

You thought this was an April fool’s joke? Well guess what it’s not.

I had a long phone call From Karl Holtey a few weeks ago. It is really nice to
know he is just a normal guy a fellow plane maker. He does not get rich making
planes though he makes a living unlike me (G)

But anyway he sent me this screw cap and I put it to use. It just drops in and
is held with the bar. I have wanted to do this style of plane for a long time
but I just never approached a machinist to do the work.

Well here you go this plane is cocobolo and ebony with my new sliding mouth and
new slotted washer too. This is a great little plane and I wish I could keep it.
The heft is really nice and it adjusts well. Right now I don’t know the cost as
Karl never told me the cost for the brass work.

http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...oscrewcap1.JPG
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...oscrewcap2.JPG
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...oscrewcap3.JPG
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...oscrewcap4.JPG
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...oscrewcap5.JPG
or use this link for easy viewing.

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/c...rames;read=993

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Morris Dovey

Steve Knight wrote:

Well here you go this plane is cocobolo and ebony with my new
sliding mouth and new slotted washer too.

Good art! (Much too pretty to be just a tool.)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
arw01

Pretty fancy there! Not to mention quite cute in it's size. How is
the brass work held in there?

The look of the protype is much nicer with the slotted brass washer.

Robatoy

In article ,
Steve Knight wrote:

You thought this was an April fool’s joke? Well guess what it’s not.

[severely snipperized]

Probably the best example of form following function that I have seen in
eons. Morris is right... it's art.
Cordless as well.

Superb.

Rob
Steve Knight

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 21:29:30 -0600, Morris Dovey wrote:

Steve Knight wrote:

Well here you go this plane is cocobolo and ebony with my new
sliding mouth and new slotted washer too.

Good art! (Much too pretty to be just a tool.)

no still a tool (G) it feels good in the hand see that makes it a tool (G)
you see art stamped on my forehead??? (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

On 1 Apr 2005 19:33:44 -0800, "arw01" wrote:

Pretty fancy there! Not to mention quite cute in it's size. How is
the brass work held in there?

the screw cap is wedged under a 3/16" brass bar. it is removable as it just
slides under the bar. I like that better then a non removable one.

The look of the protype is much nicer with the slotted brass washer.

that's for sure. a good combo I think of stainless and brass for other planes.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

Probably the best example of form following function that I have seen in
eons. Morris is right... it's art.
Cordless as well.

I guess if I don't try for that maybe I get there. I sure am no artist. I have
three left thumbs sometimes. I cut two of them installing that jointer head (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
arw01

Did you get a spiral jointer head? Do tell, with the exotics you
work..

Alan

Robatoy

In article ,
Steve Knight wrote:

Probably the best example of form following function that I have seen in
eons. Morris is right... it's art.
Cordless as well.

I guess if I don't try for that maybe I get there. I sure am no artist. I
have
three left thumbs sometimes. I cut two of them installing that jointer head
(G)

When tools are well thought out, they look like they do because they
have to look that way.
When the purpose is met, the art surfaces. The state of the art.
The art of plane/tool-making.
You select the materials to look right to you.
You finish your work to feel right to you.
You don't have to do that, but you do.
A vision turned into a goal into a finished .....art piece.

AAvK

That is a substantial design Steve, It looks really rigid
and that it will last. Very solid. You might consider
asking http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/ about
production screw caps, may be less cost and keep the
price down.

Sorry I didn't answer your email previously, you offered
me to be a beta tester for the T&G set, but I have no
experience that far into planing, and have no useable shop
set up with which to do anything yet. Kind offer though,
no doubt. Still building my 1st bench.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Morris Dovey

wrote:

Steve Knight wrote:

Well here you go this plane is cocobolo and ebony with my
new sliding mouth and new slotted washer too.

Good art! (Much too pretty to be just a tool.)

no still a tool (G) it feels good in the hand see that makes
it a tool (G) you see art stamped on my forehead??? (G)

ITYKWIM. Keep on grinning - you've earned it.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html
Steve Knight

On 2 Apr 2005 06:31:26 -0800, "arw01" wrote:

Did you get a spiral jointer head? Do tell, with the exotics you
work..

yes and it sure helps. tropicals don't tearout as much as domestics but they
dull the knives far faster.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Patriarch

Steve Knight wrote in
:

You thought this was an April fool’s joke? Well guess what it’s not.

I had a long phone call From Karl Holtey a few weeks ago. It is really
nice to know he is just a normal guy a fellow plane maker. He does not
get rich making planes though he makes a living unlike me (G)

But anyway he sent me this screw cap and I put it to use. It just
drops in and is held with the bar. I have wanted to do this style of
plane for a long time but I just never approached a machinist to do
the work.

Well here you go this plane is cocobolo and ebony with my new sliding
mouth and new slotted washer too. This is a great little plane and I
wish I could keep it. The heft is really nice and it adjusts well.
Right now I don’t know the cost as Karl never told me the cost for the
brass work.

So when can I buy one? Since it's not a joke, and you claim it's not art,
I assume you want to put it into production.

Patriarch
Steve Knight

So when can I buy one? Since it's not a joke, and you claim it's not art,
I assume you want to put it into production.

as soon as I get more screw caps. I hope it won't take long.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes