Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Default Shoe bench

My daughter and her family are neat-niks. All shoes must be removed when
entering the house. That meant that the front door was surrounded by shoes
making it hard to get in to the house. I made a shoe bench from cherry with
a drawer for each person. The height is the same as a chair so everyone can
sit on it. The drawers are baltic birch with lots of holes to let shoes
odors flow out! I like it to look nice and white so they are finished with 3
coats of satin water based Varathane poly which imparts no color. The cherry
is finished with one coat of General Finishes Seal-A-Cell clear oil finish
and three coats of General Finishes satin oil and urethane top coat.

Attached Thumbnails
Shoe bench-shoe-bench-004-1-jpg  Shoe bench-shoe-bench-002-1-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 14:54:11 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
making it hard to get in to the house. I made a shoe bench from cherry with
a drawer for each person. The height is the same as a chair so everyone can
sit on it.

Ummm? First thought is an entertainment centre (like the other one)
and a change of heart halfway through?
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

"Dave" wrote in message
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 14:54:11 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
making it hard to get in to the house. I made a shoe bench from cherry
with
a drawer for each person. The height is the same as a chair so everyone
can
sit on it.

Ummm? First thought is an entertainment centre (like the other one)
and a change of heart halfway through?

Hahaha! No, I liked the frame and panel look in their hallway but the only
entertainment coming from this "center" was the sound of shoes smacking in
the drawers!

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 18:10:56 -0500, "Dick Snyder"
Hahaha! No, I liked the frame and panel look in their hallway but the only
entertainment coming from this "center" was the sound of shoes smacking in
the drawers!

In my family farmhouse, the idea of a shoe bench would have been as
out of place as a flock of live dodo birds. We kept our shoes on so
our socks would stay relatively clean.
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Now that is another real fine design!
I like your attention to purpose and detail.
Great work and very useful and functional.
john

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message

My daughter and her family are neat-niks. All shoes must be removed when
entering the house. That meant that the front door was surrounded by shoes
making it hard to get in to the house. I made a shoe bench from cherry with
a drawer for each person. The height is the same as a chair so everyone can
sit on it. The drawers are baltic birch with lots of holes to let shoes
odors flow out! I like it to look nice and white so they are finished with 3
coats of satin water based Varathane poly which imparts no color. The cherry
is finished with one coat of General Finishes Seal-A-Cell clear oil finish
and three coats of General Finishes satin oil and urethane top coat.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Nice!

Wife wants one of those hall benches with high backs but I can't stand the
look of those "bolt-upright" things. This style may be a good design idea
start for my project.

-----------

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message

My daughter and her family are neat-niks. All shoes must be removed when
entering the house. That meant that the front door was surrounded by shoes
making it hard to get in to the house. I made a shoe bench from cherry with
a drawer for each person. The height is the same as a chair so everyone can
sit on it. The drawers are baltic birch with lots of holes to let shoes
odors flow out! I like it to look nice and white so they are finished with 3
coats of satin water based Varathane poly which imparts no color. The cherry
is finished with one coat of General Finishes Seal-A-Cell clear oil finish
and three coats of General Finishes satin oil and urethane top coat.

Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Josepi wrote the following:
Nice!

Wife wants one of those hall benches with high backs but I can't stand
the look of those "bolt-upright" things. This style may be a good design
idea start for my project.

I would prefer to build a simple one like this.
No cushion (How long are you going to sit on it?).
http://www.shoebench.net/

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

I need one for my front foyer, to fill a hole, but I probably don't want
any shoes in it (well not showing) The fold out one was cool. It will be
more decor and for the odd sit and tie operations.

--------